$1200 for iPhone 8!? I'm feeling gouged...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kmiklas, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Turveyd

Turveyd

Phone prices have always been stupid, there just getting more stupid, to think the £200 I used to pay for a basic it's just a phone phone but slightly smaller, those are £12 these days.

X is a good looking phone, not sure about Face Recognition but other than that feature, it'll do 99.999% any £200 Android phone will do these days.

Lets stop pretending there better, it's the snob factor just like drinking coffee at Starbucks, you want people to think your doing well, buy the latest Iphone and drink at Starbucks and tell everyone about it.

My Samsung S7 none edge, is honestly not worth the monthly payments I make on it, prev phone was £15 less per month, bigger screen, better speakers, similar camera, similar in use speed despite being 2years older, I pretty much just use it to OMG make actual phone calls, the odd text and odd email when nothing better to use for the job is at hand.

#31     Sep 25, 2017
  2. SteveM

SteveM

In my opinion, it has because the incremental improvements from model to model continue to shrink while the price tag continues to jump.

I found the iPhone 8 launch event to be laughable to be honest - we are supposed to fork over $1000 for better emoji technology and the removal of a Home button?

#32     Sep 25, 2017
    Clubber Lang, d08 and lovethetrade like this.
  3. RedDuke

RedDuke

Where do you guys live, and how much do you make???? Get it in your heads, iphone is not a wow factor in US anymore. It is just a gadget. That is it.

#33     Sep 25, 2017
    Clubber Lang likes this.
  4. Macca1

Macca1

Apple are pricing themselves out the market. They are not the innovators anymore either.

The funny thing is you can purchase a decent Chinese smart phone for around $200 USD, That for 90% of users would be just as good as the likes of a Iphone 8/+ or S8/Note. The low cost Chinese phones are shockingly good these days, and I think alot of people are starting to catch onto this. Check out the influx of Chinese smart phone reviews on Youtube.

Eg
    -Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X
    -Elephone S8
    -Maze Alpha

#34     Sep 25, 2017
    d08 likes this.
  5. the negativity comes from Millennials and Apple Freaks upgrading their phones every time a new model comes out

#35     Sep 25, 2017
  6. shatteredx

shatteredx

Actually the iphone 8 starts at $700

#36     Sep 25, 2017
  7. Macca1

Macca1

Starts from $900 in my country.

#37     Sep 26, 2017
  8. d08

d08

I'm not going to pay more than $180 for my next phone and I expect pretty much all the important features and good quality. But then again, I want a good phone that's functional, not a fashion statement. Phones are a commodity at this point, no important features to speak of in the last few years.

#38     Sep 26, 2017
    SteveM likes this.
  9. d08

d08

Good product based on what? Last generations of iPhone have been of poor quality, from stuck buttons to failing screens. GF here has a bunch of Apple products from iPads to iPhones of different generations, so I'm basing my opinion on those.
    For the price iPhones are actually a very poor quality product.

#39     Sep 26, 2017
    Clubber Lang likes this.
  10. just21

just21

Look at the Nokia 6, slightly over budget, but great quality for the price.

#40     Sep 26, 2017