$1200 for iPhone 8!? I'm feeling gouged...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kmiklas, Sep 24, 2017.

1. My Walmart flip phone cost me 12.00 plus tax. Been three years. Getting time to time to upgrade.

#11     Sep 24, 2017
    vanzandt likes this.
  2. 2016 wasnt a little bit

#12     Sep 24, 2017
    kmiklas likes this.
  3. Dang, they want $14.00 now. Almost 17% increase in three years? Just for that I will be waiting two months more before getting a new phone!

#13     Sep 24, 2017
    kmiklas likes this.
  4. RedDuke

RedDuke

Gee, I must live in a different world. The days when owning an iphone, and it being a wow factor, are long gone. What are all of you talking about????

It is just a great product, just like S8 and the like.

No one is impressed by it, not in the US at least. Most people stick to it because of eco system. These days high end Androids are just as good and VS.

#14     Sep 24, 2017
  5. RedDuke

RedDuke

And for all of you who love flip phones, please try to answer an important business email or make a trade through it. I conduct a lot of business on my device.

#15     Sep 24, 2017
  6. Apple aren't genuinely innovating anymore, were late to dual cameras. Check out this Meizu phone:

#16     Sep 24, 2017
  7. Well, using SMS protocol, I can see the first 156 characters of an email. I was able to successfully log in the EliteTrader on it. I can use Finance.yahoo.com and weather.gov. But admittedly, I use an ipad 3 to trade my IB account.

#17     Sep 24, 2017
  8. lovethetrade

lovethetrade Guest

This brings back memories from when I was saying exactly the same thing. Absolutely, their OS updates prior to each phone release are designed to slow down the phone. This is not unique to Apple products either, pretty sure this nice piece of deception is part of every phone manufacturer's strategy. Android phones usually come with customised versions of Android with loads of bloatware for that very reason, to get sales based on top specs but to make performancxe improvements incremental via the software.

Microsoft has been doing this for decades. I never upgrade Windows with existing harware because I know performance will deteriorate significantly if I do. "Windows 10 has a smaller footprint and faster loading times". Yes, with the latest hardware!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2017
    #18     Sep 24, 2017
  9. Saw this very thing yesterday with my Windows 7 machine. A few days after installing the latest update, my boot up and boot down times doubled. Several power management options are gone, the screensaver is gone, and my screen only runs at 100% brightness.

#19     Sep 24, 2017
    kmiklas likes this.
  10. At least one person is on the sidelines, as the rest of the world races to have the latest technology. A flip phone, it seems, is good enough for Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, who owns a team worth about $2.3 billion. He was caught in the owner's box using an old school phone.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/vide...using-a-flip-phone-is-how-he-got-rich-2013-11

#20     Sep 24, 2017