11 year old Review of Elite Trader How has it Changed?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by zdreg, Mar 15, 2022.

1. zdreg

zdreg

https://www.thinktrade.net/website-review-elite-trader.php#:~:text=Elite Trader is a major,ads and self-promotional posts.
    Elite Trader
    Category: Website
    Reviewed: Oct 2011

Website Reviews
    Elite Trader is one of the oldest and most popular trading forums on the internet. I'm not sure what year it was founded, but it has been around since as long as I can remember (the 1990s). It is run by (I believe) a guy named "Baron Robertson" from Orlando.

Most people visit the site to use the forums, but there are also other sections of the site (broker reviews, software reviews, book reviews, and options analysis). The reviews section, which some users believe is the best section of the site, isn't actually very useful. Most of the reviews are either just sparse one-liners, or biased, one-dimensional reviews. Investimonials has much higher-quality reviews.

The forums at Elite Trader have a different mix of traders (systems traders, discretionary traders, day-traders, swing traders, traders who work in the industry). There are a few well-known people from the trading community who post in the ET forums - the only names that come to mind right now are Timothy Sykes (who hasn't posted since 2007), Don Bright (of Bright Trading), and Michael Covel (of Turtles fame).
    My Opinion
    Elite Trader is a major dissapointment. Basically, 99% of the posts are crap and 1% are great. The low signal-to-noise ratio makes it not worth the time to go through all the junk to find the good stuff.

Most of the Elite Trader critics complain that there are too many ads and self-promotional posts. Personally, I don't think this is true at all. I actually think that EliteTrader does a very good job of monitoring that kind of stuff. For me, the problem is the supposedly legitimate posters. The negative attitudes of the majority of posters contaminate any sense of civility in most of the threads. Some of the posters are pathologically snarky and jump all over other people. Other posters have huge egos. If someone mentions Ed Seykota, there will be 50 posters who talk about him as if they know him personally. Other posters act like know-it-alls. For example, if someone posts a question about order routing, you will inevitably get 2 guys bickering back and forth who each claim to have definitive knowledge about exactly how the microstructure of the market works - and that the other guy is a complete idiot. Although I haven't posted there much at all, there have been occasional times where I needed some info from other traders, so I posted an extremely simple question, only to receive completely inane and useless answers. I get the feeling that the better traders (and posters) make a deliberate effort to restrict themselves to only lurking because, like me, they also have a low tolerance for the typical Elite Trader bullshit. Not to mention, they are more concerned with their own trading.

Although most critics complain that Elite Trader isn't moderated enough, the real problem, in my opinion, is simply the overall "personality" of the forums. Most forum owners are very aware that you need to take a leadership role in setting the tone for conversation within the community. But Elite Trader is essentially a completely open forum (with regard to attitude, if not content). Think of it as a Craigslist Rants & Raves - but for traders.

The level of dialogue on the Elite Trader forums is definitely more advanced than in other investing circles. But just because a conversation is more "advanced" doesn't mean it is more intelligent. For example, most of the doctors that I have met in my life have exhibited a comprehensive knowledge about medicine that was undeniably superior to others'. But, at the same time, most of these doctors also gave off a vibe of not being any more generally intelligent than my mailman. This is the how it is with Elite Trader discussions.

As far as the positive things about Elite Trader, it does make entertaining reading during downtime. And, because there are so many people posting, the forum incidentally acts as a news forum where traders can find information about recent events in the trading world. For example, if you need first-hand information from other traders about a topic such as the flash crash, then you'll find it on ET. Because of this "news-like" utility of the site, it reminds me of the "2+2" forums in the online poker world.

Although I have never looked at the trader journals section of the forum very much, I think this section of the site would be very useful to a newbie trader who wants to look over the shoulder of a real money trader. There is a broad enough selection of journals so that a newbie trader will not have a hard time finding a journal that has the kind of strategy that they are looking for (e.g. contrarian swing trading, writing credit spreads, etc).

The best thing about the site, by far, is the high volume of posts and the varied categories of forums. If you want to start a conversation with 20 other traders about the wheat/corn spread, then you'll be able to do it on ET but you probably wouldn't be able to do it anywhere else on the internet.

How has it changed in 11 years?

traderob likes this.
  2. Overnight

Overnight

I cannot answer that question as I have not been here that long, but I can say, to the review person, is that EVERY BBS on the Internet has it's problems. Why the hell is the guy reviewing the site as if it's open-house feel is a bad thing?

It was reviewed by a guy who simply does not know the Internet.

Usenet would chew him up and spit him out. But the dude is too inexperienced and too young to know what Usenet is.

3. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Nowadays that investimonials site is nothing but a shill for Timothy Syke's former student Tim Bohen. Pick any of the review categories.... and you'll find that a review hasn't been posted there in years and years.

Not much seems to have changed with Tim Sykes over the years. Same old non-stop self-promotion.

Don Bright passed away many years ago, but I'm glad that Topstep and other firms have modernized the prop firm business into a new model, as even Don Bright himself admitted to me many times that his firm's technology was outdated.

As for Elite Trader, I'm just thankful that we're still here and doing great, both as a community and as a business. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2022
  4. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I'm glad you're scrutinizing more about whom you're doing business with instead of with anyone that has money to pay for sponsorship.

It should attract more professionals.

wrbtrader

5. speedo

speedo

That review reads like a middle school yenta project.

6. zdreg

zdreg

What does the new prop model look like vs the old model?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

How about turning this around, since I never heard of thinktrade.net?:

Their latest update:

Site Updates
    Check this page to see any new content added to the site. Updates to my journal are not included.

(Last journal entry was in 2015)

Apr 28, 2013

Baron and virtusa like this.
  8. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Bright used to charge $5k for their training class and then after completion, students could move on to trading with the firm's capital with a certain profit split, but they needed state certification and had to become a member of the company LLC.

Instead of charging traders a large upfront fee for education, Topstep invented the "combine" (simulated trading environment) as a way for traders to test their skills over a period of time in a monitored environment which also allowed Topstep to effectively weed out the unprofitable traders. So in other words, if you don't pass the combine, you can't qualify to trade with the firm's money. And they also opened up this prop firm trading model to the futures trading world instead of focusing strictly on equities like Bright Trading.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
    Buy1Sell2 and zdreg like this.
  9. traderob

traderob

I doubt you would find a single trader among all those who 'passed' topsteptrading 'test' who has made substantial money.
    It is set up to entice but is not a genuine funding of traders as they all quickly fail after getting the tiny amount of funding.

Pekelo likes this.
  10. expiated

expiated

A Google search turns up the following…

"EliteTrader.com is a group of 100,000+ financial traders that have meaningful conversations to help each other learn faster, develop new relationships, and …"

In these terms, I did find the forum to be disappointing. Rather than meaningful conversations, I primarily ran into unhelpful attacks. On the other hand…

I did look into trader journals, and found a number of them to be of some degree of interest. In fact, I was ultimately motivated to keep my own journals, and this is where I found the website offered the greatest amount of value to me personally. Especially if I heeded the few legitimate comments that were made and put everyone else on ignore.

This almost describes my current mindset, though not quite. Probably the main reason I'm still around after almost five years is because, though I do have a profitable system, I have yet to accomplish with it that for which it was originally designed—which is to take a minuscule opening balance and parlay it into a massive trading account in a relatively short period of time. Hopefully, I'm on the verge of meeting that challenge right now in the way I'm likely to apply my approach to trading NADEX at-the-money binary option contracts (starting at the end of next week).

If successful, I will probably soon be too busy implementing various spin-off projects to continue posting here very often, one being how to scale the system into a sort of proprietary trading firm franchise; though thus far, I have found it relatively difficult to help other individuals succeed in that most people simply don't seem to have the amount of discipline, dedication and professional attitude required to put forth the kind of effort that profitable trading requires, which makes working with them not really worth my time.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
    #10     Mar 26, 2022