$11 Mil. Stimulus Grant Helps Only TWO Job Seekers

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Mar 7, 2012.

1. pspr

pspr

Taxpayer money is waisted at every turn. What we need is a real tax revolt. Government has to STOP SPENDING OUR MONEY.

A chunk of an $11 million stimulus grant meant to provide low-income Detroit residents with clothing for job interviews reportedly aided just two people -- far short of the 400 job-seekers the money was meant to help.

The findings were part of a new audit on the city's Department of Human Services, according to The Detroit News.

The 2009 grant in question was used to start a service center -- which included among other features a call center for families in need and a clothing boutique.

However, the audit reportedly found the department did not safeguard the funding for that boutique, which was run by a contractor. According to the report, the contractor advanced nearly $150,000 to a city clothing store without involving the city government.

While the department was supposed to help 400 job-seekers with clothing between the fall of 2010 and 2011, the boutique instead came up with two documented cases where clients received clothing.

"The potential loss of thousands of dollars exists because controls have not been established for the boutique," the audit said, according to The Detroit News.

The department reportedly has undergone heavy scrutiny since an internal probe was launched last year.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-400-detroit-job-seekers-reportedly-helped-2/

2. $11,000,000 / 400 job-seekers = $27,500 per person for clothing, those numbers must be way off.

3. Max E.

Max E.

It says a a chunk of the 11,000,000 who nows how much a chunk is supposed to be.

4. Chunk
    • A thick mass or piece
    • A substantial amount
    • A thick solid piece
    • A considerable amount

Still a lot of money for clothes.

5. Max E.

Max E.

Dont get me wrong, i agree that its a waste, you just asked if the numbers were off, and i just noticed that part.

6. pspr

pspr

It looks like the story must be referring to the $150,000 that was spent at the boutique mentioned. That would be $375 per person for 400 people. I guess the boutique only delivered on two people and just pocketed the $150,000.

It's not clear what went on with the rest of the $11 million.

7. Max E.

Max E.

Actually if you do the math that way the numbers are even worse, in forexforex examle it was only 27,500 per person for clothing.

In the second examle it cost 150000/2 for people = 75000 per person for clothing, almost 3 times as much.

I sure hope that was gucci or some other fancy shit they were handing out.... :D :D