1080 vs 1440 res at 27inch for charts?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by punisher, Apr 12, 2017.

1. punisher

punisher

Right now I'm using my 27in (2560x1440) iMac as an external monitor but it's a temporary solution before I get regular monitors. The current real estate is not big enough for me so I'm looking to get a couple of 27in'ers.

Seems like 1440res ones can cost twice the 1080res (within same quality). I just don't know how much (if anything) I would compromise by going with lower 1080res for my charts.

Have you tried similar setup? If so I'd appreciate comments. Thanks.

2. just21

just21

Use one 32 inch 4k monitor.

wintergasp likes this.
  3. diseasex

diseasex

1440p @34"

4. punisher

punisher

I guess you mean one of those extra wide monitors, right?

while all input is appreciated, I'm just trying to determine how 1080res works on 27in. Everyone seems to be focused on the layout and res. While layout is subjective, I think that pixel size/count per inch is more objective measure. Up to 24in anything over 1080 is an overkill, on anything bigger than 27in I wouldn't go lower than 1440. I just don't know whether 27in at 1080 would cut it.

I can't read small print on my MacBookPro retina display so I don't see the benefit of going 4K (at least not with my eyesight) unless we are talking about those huge monitors like 43in Dell. But then it costs 4x as much as 27in@1080 (or twice 27in@1440) and it's one single piece of equipment, so if it goes down, you're left with nothing for a while.

5. diseasex

diseasex

To be honest 4k for such small monitors as 27 and even 34 is too much . I like ultra wide monitors , especially curved. Works for me but I guess don't overthink it...

6. With higher res you can get more stuff displayed, but text is smaller. One good solution is 2 or 3, 24-27" monitors, either 1440 or 1080 res, displayed in portrait mode. It's more personal preference than anything else.

7. d08

d08

Text size is entirely customizable on the OS level, higher resolution just means you can have more on your screen until it becomes unreadable. Whether you can read the text or not depends also on eyesight and distance to monitor.

lawrence-lugar likes this.
  8. dholliday

dholliday

9. IamaMars

IamaMars

I am still not sure why people go with so many monitors, you can really go with something like 27" and being them 1080p and that's really it. I do understand that 24" maybe too small for you, but don't buy expensive hardware for it. Save money!

10. apdxyk

apdxyk

OP, to answer your original question: I have been using 1440 @ 27" monitors for 6+ years, haven't changed anything on OS nor hardware levels, charting is good out of the box on W7, W10, *NIX

#10     Jun 1, 2019