$100K Paper Trade Journal 6/29/18 - 09/01/18

Discussion in 'Journals' started by vanzandt, Jul 2, 2018.

1. truetype

truetype

Since you're papertrading, it's preferable to be conservative and assume you sell the bid, buy the offer. When you move to real $ you'll sometimes do better - but obviously not the midpoint!

#11     Jul 2, 2018
    rb7 and destriero like this.
  2. southall

southall

Is he using the mid point for mark to market PnL updates, or for closing out the trades.
    I thought it was just the former.

#12     Jul 2, 2018
    vanzandt likes this.
  3. truetype

truetype

"Yeah I stated in that other thread the midpoint was what I'd use. No one complained when I paid too much and bought em there, at the midpoint that is."

#13     Jul 2, 2018
  4. vanzandt

vanzandt

I wish there was a way to do it more accurately, but as I said its a mute point. I'll sell at intrinsic in August. If I have to dump it before then, we could probably use an option pricing tool that takes into account IV, days to expiration etc. to get it close. Those thinly traded DIM options are all like that. I have traded them quite a bit. A month and a half out on a stock like that there's certainly a bit of extrinsic. I have no reason to artificially inflate the trades. It is paper after all. I'll make sure they're all time-stamped... and on the liquid ones, like MGM was today, thats pretty accurate when there's only a few pennies on the spread. I don't cheat, don't have to.

ttyl

#14     Jul 2, 2018
    destriero likes this.
  5. vanzandt

vanzandt

Hmph... just looked at Canopy Growth... CGC.... its up to $31 Ah's... but it closed at $30.81.
    Sweet.

Thats another $1620 in the green today. Pure intrinsic there. Can't whine about that.
    I'd be up like $5000 in 2 days without that stupid BAC trade.
    Ahhh who cares.
    Just getting started

They'll pull back some tomorrow probably. Lots of time.

#15     Jul 2, 2018
    destriero likes this.
  6. vanzandt

vanzandt

Last trade on them (the CGC's) was $5.90, but I have no problem valuing them for zero extrinsic.
    If this were a real trade, and I put in a market order to sell, they'd probably get $5.85 ish. But no biggie.... they'll be a few more dollars before July expiration.
    I personally think its overvalued, but the CEO is sharp, he's making all the right moves. Got STZ to buy 10%. I wish I would have bought more on those lows. I hope it pulls back and I'll buy some August Calls. And if Sessions ever resigns... big pop that day. Could happen. Not this month though.

#16     Jul 2, 2018
    destriero likes this.
  7. vanzandt

vanzandt

Ya know this is too funny....
    I got a couple PM's today about other things, I chat with a bunch of people here...and when I commented on the events of the last several days, neither of these members had any idea what I was talking about. I'm like "you didn't see all those posts?! wtf".... they didn't. Turns out... I'm not alone in the use of ignore. It speaks volumes.
    Just thought I'd share dat one. :D

Anyway... I almost bought GS calls today (with real $'s)... when I looked the August $220's were $7.25. $8.25 on the bid at close. Had a good day though with the real account. Made $365... funny money ya know. But a wins a win... puts ya in a good mood.

There's something to be said about eliminating negative Karma from your circle. It applies to trading to... just so ya know. I used to play a lot of competitive golf back in the day....before the (lower) back from hell... for whatever reason in a competition, I was not allowed to wear headphones. Even though I was extremely aware of who was farthest away and who's shot it was. But the point is, the best rounds I ever shot in golf were in a non-competitive environment where I just picked up a 3-some on a weekday afternoon or Saturday morning. They didn't care.. I didn't say a word, just listened to my music, playing within the realms of golf etiquette. Smoked the courses.

Negativity will mess with your game. I used to do it subtlety when I was in a match. Nothing overt, just subtle things to get under their skin. And I would beat people far more skilled than me... because they would fall on their own sword in their own braggadociousness. It was predictable. Thats why I like my journal here.... just listen to the music and enjoy the day.

I hope GS pulls back tomorrow. I think it will this week at some point. We'll see.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    #17     Jul 2, 2018
  8. vanzandt

vanzandt

Golf, girls, and guitars... 3 things you'll never master.
    I'd put trading in there too, except it doesn't start with a "G"... but make no mistake, it belongs there. Thats why I like it. Trading that is. So many "greats" have lost it all. Its just a matter of time.
    Time. The most valuable of all commodities.
    Too bad the CME can't trade futures on that.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    #18     Jul 2, 2018
  9. vanzandt

vanzandt

OMG the sky is falling. VMC up. CGC down.
    MGM up a baby bit... SYMC flat...
    Damn...Didn't add anything...

But not to worry. VMC is an earnings play. I honestly expected it to take out $130 today... I would have added.
    Canopy might disappoint me short term though... I should have closed it yesterday. If VMC stays up... I may be able to add at $131 this week instead of $130.

Anywhoooz....No need to do the math... Probably down around $5Kish give or take. Who cares... they bounce back. Ooo... look at VMC fall as I type. Damn the luck. Its a beautiful day outside....
    Happy 4rth from Zandy! :D

#19     Jul 3, 2018
  10. What's your game plan for July?

#20     Jul 3, 2018