10000rpm hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by a529612, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Saving 50 ns on data retrieval never seemed much of a big deal to me....

And launching??? I never have to relaunch my programs.

Matter of fact, my system stays up Su-Fr, without reboots. (Guess I can afford the electric bill eh??)

Don't know why launching programs is such a big deal. Once it's up, it's up... of course I also perform backups and maintenance when the markets are closed or inaccessible (The ones i trade)

Between 7am EST and 8am EST Complete data backup and update.

Too each his own. I don't like the heat or the noise. I want to hear my jazz when I trade, not my hard drives.

#21     Mar 16, 2007
  2. maxpi

maxpi

Raid can present problems when using a recovery disk as well. If I wanted more speed, and currently it would not buy me anything, I'd rather go with the 10,000 rpm and the KISS principle.

#22     Mar 16, 2007
  3. Ultimately it comes down to this. Either medium will crash. Did you do your Daily Backups???

I never will forget the lesson I learned from my Old GM at my old Job (when I was 20) Everynight at 5pm they did a Data backup (back then it was to tape.) I never will forget the day the servers went down. That lesson has stuck with me since.

#23     Mar 16, 2007
  4. Tums

Tums

15K drives are already here
    20K drives are coming

#24     Mar 16, 2007
  5. GTS

GTS

I guess I still don't see your point Gregarious. Yes, using faster drives and RAID will give you faster disk access - who would dispute that? I could just as easily say having more or faster processors will lower your % CPU utilization and adding more memory will lower your % memory utilization.

The question is, does a normal trader need faster disk access beyond what a single 7.2k drive delivers? The two examples you gave, faster program startup and better (?) writing of streaming quote data do not convince me. How often do you start a program and are you doing it in the middle of the trading day? What would be the system impact of writing data out using 7.2k drives instead of 10k - do you think your system would be noticably slower?

Its easy to advise everyone to get the best, fastest machine that money can buy but I do not think its good advice unless their intended use of the machine really justifies it, in this case I just don't see it.

#25     Mar 16, 2007
  6. Stripe a pair of 10K's and you will notice a difference

#26     Mar 16, 2007
  7. Will that difference help you hit the trade button that much faster??? Just curious....

#27     Mar 16, 2007
  8. GTS

GTS

Replace your pair of 10K's with a solid state drive and you will notice a difference.

#28     Mar 16, 2007
  9. Ha ha true

#29     Mar 16, 2007
  10. No. The biggest difference is when loading/saving files, and starting apps.
    Apps that do tons of file access will see an improvement too.

#30     Mar 16, 2007