100 ticker limit in tws (IB)

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by tommaso, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Klamath

Klamath

I already have a simulator account, the data seems to run a few seconds behind real time, plus you obviously can't place real trades through it.

I guess I need to think about splitting my real account up into two. Seems silly.

#11     Dec 7, 2008
  2. tommaso

tommaso

Yes it works.

[Clean the ide if using api. A ticker showing on the ide seems to be included in the count for the warning]

[paper trading did not prove to be very reliable. Also bid and ask sometimes remained constant for long periods (don't know why and whether this has been fixed) ]

In my opinion the limit should be raised because people need a lot of testing both 1 before going live, and 2 afterward to re-tune the strategies or to test alternate strategies. Any hindrance to such experiments will result in less trading and less commissions.

[In any case this data would be useless for other (commercial?) purposes, due to pink screens and disconnections which are anyway now and then occurring.]

T

#12     Dec 8, 2008
  3. Klamath

Klamath

It's weird that they will give you 100 additional symbols in a way that they can't possibly get any commission from, but you can't get them in a form where they would get more commission, even if you're willing to pay for it.

#13     Dec 8, 2008
  4. I am not a programmer so I would guess that the way I am working this is wrong but here goes.

Shouldn't there be a way to call 100 symbols at a time and work you way down a list of say 1000 symbols?

I do not need need sub one second data (maybe thats not the rule granted) but if you could open the gate and grab 100 last prices and then close the gate and get the next 100 you would not cause any higher load for IB and in my case I could get what I want.

Any thoughts?

#14     Dec 16, 2008