$100 fill-up coming to pump near you

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, Nov 19, 2007.

1. S2007S

S2007S

$100+ to fill up some of these SUVs, thats crazy, I pay about $40-$45 now....

Bankrate.com
    $100 fill-up coming to pump near you
    Friday November 16, 6:00 am ET
    Terry Jackson

With speculators running up the price of a barrel of oil to the $100 range, there can be little doubt that the average price of a gallon of regular gasoline is headed for $3.50, and maybe even $4, before there's any sort of fallback.

While such price hikes will increase the pressure on new vehicle buyers to look for more fuel-efficient vehicles, there's a real sticker shock awaiting those who need or want a big sport utility vehicle or pickup truck.

Those vehicles are among the thirstiest gas-guzzlers, delivering an average of 14 to16 miles per gallon in combined city-highway driving if a driver is judicious with the gas pedal.

The real shock for drivers of these automobiles will come when the tank approaches empty and it's time to fill up. Because they burn a lot of fuel, these vehicles have larger gas tanks, which can mean that the final total on the gas pump can be frightening.

How frightening? How about $100 per fill-up?

At $3.50 a gallon, getting change from a Ben Franklin is not likely to happen very often. And on some vehicles, it will cost more than $100 to fill up.

Here's a list of some of the biggest budget busters on the market, including tank size and how much it costs to fill an empty tank at $3.50 a gallon:

Fill 'er up

Make and model Tank size Cost
    Chrysler Aspen SUV 27 gallons $94.50
    Ford Expedition SUV 28 gallons $98.00
    Infiniti QX56 SUV 28 gallons $98.00
    Cadillac Escalade ESV SUV 31 gallons $108.50
    Chevrolet Suburban SUV 31 gallons $108.50
    Chevrolet Avalanche SUV 31 gallons $108.50
    Hummer H2 SUV 32 gallons $112.00
    Ford Expedition EL SUV 33.5 gallons $117.25
    Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD pickup 34 gallons $119.00
    Dodge Ram 2500 pickup 35 gallons $122.50
    Nissan Titan pickup 37 gallons $129.50
    Ford F250 Super Duty pickup 38 gallons $133.00

Of course, as the price of gasoline rises, owners of more economical vehicles like the Honda Accord and the Toyota Camry will also get wallet shock. Both cars come with 18.5-gallon gas tanks that would cost $64.75 for a fill-up.

We all need to drive, and while the ultimate measure of economy is the number of miles that can be squeezed from a gallon of fuel, it's worth considering what you're likely to be spending when that tank runs dry and to factor it into your budget.

2. Not a big deal. Rising gas prices good for exon and dow components. Stock market will continue to rise because the American consumer still spending.

3. ssblack

ssblack

How is this a surprise? My Armada is roughly $60-70 per fillup, has been for the last year. It's the SUV equivalent to the Titan, but I know we don't have a 37 gallon fuel tank, it's 26.5 gallons.

Of course I'm in San Antonio, so cost of living is not like that of the coastal regions.

4. one gallon $3.50 is expensive????

i pay 3.50 per LITRE, americans are so spoilt

5. melee

melee

it costs me 55 bucks to travel 500 miles in 8 hours

or

45 bucks to go 500 in 10 hours

not bad for a 1000 dollar car, with 400 bucks of repairs

do i win anything for trying to be economic man?

6. gnome

gnome

If gas cost us that much, we couldn't all be driving around in 12 mpg SUV's... wouldn't like that.

7. empee

empee

Its all those damn speculators that are causing this! We need price controls!!
    :p

8. Sounds like commie idealism :p

9. Thinking about getting a 2008 Ninja 250R motorcycle, which gets about 60-70mpg, and ride that instead of my Acura.

It will be just like the old days of my youth! :D

10. if you don't want to pay for gas ride your bike to work or take public transportation.

#10     Nov 19, 2007