100,000 shares at a time ?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by marketsurfer, Feb 8, 2003.

1. i say: ban his ass

:D

#11     Feb 8, 2003
  2. gertsman

gertsman

Ok guys, here we go again there has been about a dozen posts since marketsurfer and I posted our questions and not one response. I could care less about this personal stuff, I posted a question. I countribute enough to the traders that I teach and back, I sometimes enjoy reading this site, but I simply don't have time to contibute here. Once again that was not a stab at you, dafugginman, I am simply pointing out how much time is wasted by all this bickering.

Gertsman

#12     Feb 8, 2003
  3. exce26

exce26

QQQ
    8 hours
    8cents profit per share after commissions
    (Used Prop firm margin)
    :cool:

#13     Feb 8, 2003
  4. ok...in terms of the opening print, why don't you look at the average opening print over the last 10 days or so, and maybe try to keep your order to say 20% of that. obviously, if there is news, you could stretch that. if you put too much volume in, then you're just hurting yourself, since it's not going to gap open high enough for you to make any money on the retracement (assuming this is what we're talking about). i'm sure you already know these things.

#14     Feb 8, 2003
  5. bronks

bronks

Unfortunately, now you have all the credibility of a one Michael Jackson. Too many sharp pencils in this box for you not to know otherwise.

#15     Feb 8, 2003
  6. I'm new here, but second what gertsman said about the "anal-ness" of some on ET. Often it seems like women sitting around talking on who has the better set-up in their love lives... more money, jewelry and the like (no offense women) and similar pettiness.

On the other hand ET is a great place; sure glad I found it... wish I'd heard of it years ago!! Good place to make some new friends and we can never have enough of those.

Think everyone on here has an obligation as a member to offer what they can... those reasonably or highly successful traders IMHO have some small obligation to "pay it forward".... by sharing with others who are rookies, are struggling or in need of direction. If they are too selfish, or unwilling to make some small contributions from time to time... rather than just posting hints about how good they are, how big their positions and/or trades are, and ostensibly only seeking to impress... while being able to read and review all other input from knowledgeable and experienced traders.. then they should just be ignored.

Thus, if "Gertsman" wants to stay private, I respect that. But if he posts about 75K day trading..... he ought to be willing to share just a little strategy, philosophy... etc. with others without being defensive in saying they expect too much.

But that is a value judgment he's got to make.

It's my view that "membership" (even an online website) still carries with it an obligation to share. Maybe that is just an old-fashioned (or outmoded) value that doesn't apply to "wizard traders!"

Ice:cool:

#16     Feb 8, 2003
  7. the 20-40K position size... represents the highest levels I reached consistently in mid- late 90s. Since then I have downsized and feel more comfortable dong larger option size, and less stock... I've gone from only seeking H.R s to finding a higher on base %s and striving for 200+ hits per year.... singles, double and triples. As my original signature used to say: you can get to the hall of fame hitting homers or singles, but you gotta protect the plate.

Suggest in this market others try it, you might like it.

:D :eek:

#17     Feb 8, 2003
  8. okwon

okwon

Are there a lot of profitable guys in your office trading the size you trade? Did your firm or other traders in your office provide any training/instruction with the equities/options strategies you're using?

#18     Feb 8, 2003
  9. Htrader

Htrader Guest

I think its a bit more accurate to list both the share amount and the actual dollar amount since thats how buying power is really calculated.

I'm a retail trader so I don't have access to the millions BP that some of the prop traders here do.

My largest equity stock position I have ever held is around $350,000 and it came out to about 12,000 shares on a $30 stock. I would say that my average size is around $50,000 - $100,000.

My largest futures position I have ever held is around $2,700,000. Thats 60 lots of the ES. I'm not exactly proud of that number since whenever I get that large it usually means a big whopping loss is coming in the near future. My typical size is just around 5 lots, but sometimes after a really good run, I just get way overconfident and decide to plunge whenever I see a good setup. I'll score big the first few times but eventually the size comes back to bite me.

#19     Feb 8, 2003
  10. before going solo a year ago.. had a 40k share basket on with 1.25 mil in bp and broke even.

#20     Feb 8, 2003