10 Ways Wall Street Brainwashes You

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by ShoeshineBoy, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Nicely stated!!

#11     Jul 19, 2008
  2. Dan Zanger is not your average elitetrader wannabe. They wield TA like a 3 year old wields her father's gun. Usually when I have heard people say that certain TA methods work in certain markets, it is because they lost a similar amount of money in other market conditions

Many who use TA "profitably", actually just use price action, and lump it under TA. I consider TA as separate from pure price action. When someone starts adding things to charts, I consider that as more TA. When they follow the chart, and develop an instinct for market direction without indicators and squiggles, I consider that as more price action.

And even the self-acclaimed TA followers often turn out to mix it with other things, to the point that it is hard to tell whether the TA had much to do with it.

#12     Jul 20, 2008
  3. Well, I agree based on what I've seen overall. But I have to add that I think it would be possible to make money with pure indicators if you chose the right markets and that's kind of my point...

#13     Jul 20, 2008
  4. AAA30

AAA30

I think Zanger used price patterns so that is more price action/Chart reading then using TA indicators. He also used fundamentals for screening, and max retail leverage.

On the OP wallstreet is a big game that is 98% selling and 2% wisdom. Someone else posted about it being a large group of people basicly following each other,which is true.

#14     Jul 20, 2008
  5. I would tend to agree. People who rely on indicators will not find this a longterm strategy. Goto freecharts.com and navigate to the performance of TA indicator section. You will find some popular indicators tracked in real time, and they do not work.

#15     Jul 20, 2008
  6. nothing of that text book TA shit works consistently you really have to develop a feel for when it's gonna work , in the end there is very little edge in it , combine with other things and money management and you can make money if you are exceptionnaly good at this stuff.

#16     Jul 20, 2008
  7. Can you post a link to that page? I was unable to find it on their website.

#17     Jul 25, 2008
  8. I know this is something I personally have to continuously "check" myself on. Its too easy spot a potential setup you hope to see fill out then get lazy and partially shut your brain down to observing new patterns. You end up missing other setups occurring while hoping the initial pattern will complete. Same with once a position is entered... need to keep re-evaluating as to whether the PA is "normal" or if something else is developing. Its been said a thousand times over but as a trader you definitely need to be able to constantly re-evaluate and change your mind when necessary.

#18     Jul 25, 2008
  9. slowcpa

slowcpa

"Its been said a thousand times over but as a trader you definitely need to be able to constantly re-evaluate and change your mind... "

i should just let my wife trade for me.

#19     Jul 26, 2008
  10. By TA I usually think of what is typically lumped into the typical TA books which includes a conglomeration of non-fundamental stuff. But I agree with what you're saying and I actually believe in "technimentals"...

#20     Jul 26, 2008