10 things I wish I'd never believed

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by bigarrow, Dec 24, 2009.

1. drcha

drcha

bigarrow,

Thank you for posting. I like that Web site.

#11     Jan 5, 2010
  2. #12     Jan 6, 2010
  3. Interesting article but not all are true.

Not always true. You can earn money even if you don't have a job. There are ways, lots of ways.

I disagree. Sometimes, admitting your faults is a sign of courage. Means you are open to accept mistakes, and open to correct them.

I absolutely disagree with this. I know a lot of people who are rich and successful and didn't even have a college degree. It's about skills and your eagerness to be successful.

Not always true. Most of the time, you get to learn most of the important things from the real world and not in school.

#13     Jan 27, 2010
  4. Mr J

Mr J

That's the point - the author disagrees with them all.

#14     Jan 27, 2010
  5. heypa

heypa

Changed my mind.

#15     Jan 28, 2010
  6. I heard it too! A huge whoooshing sound.. as if something just flew over the head of someone nearby..

#16     Jan 28, 2010
  7. yes, you have whined about college on ET many times. We get it. You are incapable of getting a degree, so you confuse getting your useless Game Design certificate with being superior.

#17     Jan 28, 2010
  8. HAHAHAHHAHA.

I can see how this experience can happen to some people. There are values that come from going to a public school other than education. Social interaction being a big one.

Anyway I think Ian's quote covers this situation.

#18     Jan 28, 2010
  9. drcha

drcha

Since when is getting a degree so crucial? I have two graduate degrees, but cannot figure out how to fix my toilet. I have to leave that to my pot-smoking tattooed plumber, a guy with a 2-digit IQ who can do something I cannot do. Degrees are only a modern invention, and useless for many purposes--an artificial yardstick.

#19     Jan 28, 2010
  10. This has already been discussed in great depth. Among some of the many reasons:

BS/BA grads make about 80% more lifetime than HS grads

BS/BA grads have about half the unemployment levels of HS grads

Being educated is a lot better than being uneducated

Many of the jobs that HS grads seek - union, factories, warehouses and many others are disppearing rapidly.

Many of the jobs that HS grads seek will go to college grads/those with better educations.

And the list goes on. Yes it is a bad economy, but now and in the longterm, these things still and will hold true.

#20     Jan 29, 2010