10 Reasons You Should Never Have a Religion

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by DT-waw, Dec 10, 2008.

1. so Harvard's Divinity school could be replaced with years of experience in night-clubs, fucking bar wenches, telling smutty jokes?

It's always been my experience that the people attempting to sound the smartest have the least amount of sense, and the most to hide

#41     Dec 12, 2008
  2. Not sure about you, but, things like this make me happy. (see attachment)

#42     Dec 13, 2008
  3. Here is what Sagan's wife (Ann Druyan) said when asked about this:

"When my husband died, because he was so famous and known for not being a believer, many people would come up to me—it still sometimes happens—and ask me if Carl changed at the end and converted to a belief in an afterlife. They also frequently ask me if I think I will see him again. Carl faced his death with unflagging courage and never sought refuge in illusions. The tragedy was that we knew we would never see each other again. I don't ever expect to be reunited with Carl."

""Contrary to the fantasies of the fundamentalists, there was no deathbed conversion, no last-minute refuge taken in a comforting vision of a heaven or an afterlife. For Carl, what mattered most was what was true, not merely what would make us feel better."

Seneca

#43     Dec 13, 2008
  4. jem

jem

What a illogical line of thought.

Prove it. You asserted it - prove it. I would not make such such an illogical statement.

You really should stop confronting others in until you come to grips with the fact that science has no dog in this hunt.

#44     Dec 14, 2008
  5. jem

jem

should have been "an" not "a"

#45     Dec 14, 2008
  6. I wonder where I read this about his deathbed conversion to believing in a God or whatever it was, because I remember reading it somewhere. At the time, I remember thinking it was kind of strange for him to do this. I have read a lot of his books and it didn't seem like he would do this. Either someone made this up or his wife who is most likely an atheist just doesn't want to admit he did do this.

#46     Dec 14, 2008
  7. stu

stu

It's your own argument you complete tosser !

Look....

There's the dimwitted mental mistake and you're the one who keeps making it !
    Come on jem, after all the schooling you've had on this religious bs nonsense from so many, you still can't be that dumb, surely.

#47     Dec 14, 2008
  8. karol88

karol88

this is pointless, there's no scientific proof of the existence of God (but there are some scientists that are working on it....not to mention all the scientists that believe in God). Personally I doubt it will ever be proven, it would be against God's plan (yeah, yeah, now come and tell me how brainwashed I am)...If we could see, touch God, then what would stop anyone from believing in God? I'm sure most of you know some basic Christian teachings, and know if there was a proof, visible to everyone on this planet, we wouldn't need to be here, we could all go straight to Heaven, as no one would dare to sin....what about Free Will? God gave us Free Will....we can chose to believe and obey God or we can chose not to. God gave us free will because he doesn't want to force us to do anything. He gave us the ability and freedom to make our own decisions.
    So based on this teaching, trying to prove and force anything is pointless...

You chose to not believe in his existence, and try to back it up with science and logic...good for you...I hope you, your mental state, and your life in general are good as well, as this is the only thing that forces me to analyze my own beliefs (not to mention all the "crazy" born again Christians)

For example: I know God exist when I see an older forever married Christian couple who's gentle, humble, wise and knowledgeable, mentally stable (!!!!) that lives peacefully, that overcomes all the earthly problems with success, that doesn't struggle too much, and have heart....as stupid and simple as it may seem to you, to me this is a proof. Even my own life (despite that I'm not perfect and weak at times), I believe that everything good that I've done, who I am, was done with the help of God. I don't need a proof, I am the proof to myself...
    Until you've experienced this feeling at least for a second, you will never understand...

#48     Dec 14, 2008
  9. the christian mind at work. it amazing how this kind of thinking is still possible in 2008. its almost like a disease.

#49     Dec 14, 2008
  10. stu

stu

Excuse me, you seemed to have missed the point. just like jem always does. Do you really need me to explain why I said that about being able to prove God does not exist? May I suggest you read again the corresponding posts , it should only take a minute for you to see your apparent mistake.

Thanks for the good wishes. However hang on there just one sec and try and get the facts straight. I don't try to back up God's non existence with science anywhere, anytime. That is akin to being able to think, but never thinking.

when I see an older forever married Christian couple who's gentle, humble, wise and knowledgeable, mentally stable (!!!!) that lives peacefully, that overcomes all the earthly problems with success, that doesn't struggle too much, and have heart ...................I see an older forever married Christian couple who's gentle, humble, wise and knowledgeable, mentally stable (!!!!) that lives peacefully, that overcomes all the earthly problems with success, that doesn't struggle too much, and have heart ....who are existing

Your version might sound delusional to many people

UNTIL I've experienced? You must realize you don't know what I've experienced. Until you realize what I've experienced "you will never understand "
    See?

#50     Dec 14, 2008