10 point slip on commex gold?

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by Razorsharp, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Try a stop limit next time!

#31     Jan 21, 2010
  2. I'm looking at my archived transaction and order book data. Can't really dump it into a screen.

The price might have rebounded hard if the pros wanted to use the stops to get long and were prepared to soak up all the selling. In this case they were probably already short (can't be sure obviously) and just needed to push the price into the stop zone to set off a freefall.

And yeah, the typical spread on the GC is NOT 10 ticks. Ludicrous statement.

#32     Jan 21, 2010
  3. Doubt it would have helped. Would have probably just sat in the book as the price sailed merrily south. Was a high risk entry. The OP did the right thing biting the bullet and getting out.

#33     Jan 21, 2010
  4. Yeah i was looking to catch a bear trap, but looks like i got caught LOL.

Live and learn thats trading for ya.

#34     Jan 21, 2010
  5. 10 ticks as in $1?

you waste our time

#35     Jan 22, 2010
  6. jj90

jj90

To the OP : Deal with it and get on with life. You seem pretty new to GC. 1 point slippage is nothing. I got hammered 2 sundays ago slipping 13.5 points on top of my stop. Now that's slippage.

#36     Jan 22, 2010
  7. If trading the overnight session (especially anytime on a Sunday) then all bets are off as to where market orders will get executed (although 135 ticks is truly epic). These sessions should be plastered with the disclaimer: Any resemblance of efficient price discovery in the market action during these times is purely coincidental.

Final word from me...of all the contracts I trade the 6E is kindest to me. Might be to a few of you too.

All the best folks

Scoob

#37     Jan 22, 2010
  8. I got 10 tick slip during peak conditions, imagine during overnight.

all bets are off as they say!

#38     Jan 22, 2010
  9. Terminology: a "point" is $1. A point is not a tick.

Slippage of 10 ticks overnight is bigger than normal, however if you placed your stop at an obvious place, such as below a recent low, then other people will often have stops at the same level and you'll get bad slippage. 10 ticks is fairly common if you get stopped out at an obvious point and the market spikes through your stop price. I regularly (maybe once a week or so) see stops trigger and move gold $2-3 instantly.

#39     Jan 22, 2010
  10. 10 ticks is $100 dollars per contract.

#40     Jan 22, 2010