10 months fulltime and still no edge

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by estim, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Are you sure?
    A whole 10 months huh?
    I spent 5 years of screen time to find consistency that has lasted ever since . . . 10 more years and running.
    Was it worth the first 5 years to discover a consistent way to profit from these markets?
    Hell YES!
    Patience is the key and few traders possess it.

#21     Jan 8, 2009
  2. the edge is from within for some of us
    good luck youll find it

#22     Jan 8, 2009
  3. danielc1

danielc1

The average proces to be good in a 'profession' is about 5,68 years( doctors, lawyers, engineers, and so on) if you 'work' on it 8 hours a day... Why would trading be any different?

#23     Jan 8, 2009
  4. It isn't.

#24     Jan 8, 2009
  5. estim

estim

Yes I am planning on being an statistical outlier

#25     Jan 8, 2009
  6. Dustin

Dustin

You are trying run before learning to walk. How are you going to find an edge if you have no experience actually trading? Backtesting does not create strategies, trading knowledge does. Take your ten months as a learning experience that hopefully you can use later, once you actually have a strategy to program.

#26     Jan 8, 2009
  7. jim c

jim c

This is somewhat backwards to advice regualrly given here on ET. Usually its "find a profitable system then trade it." Once you actually put some cash on the line, even a small amount, its amazing how you really "wake up" and become in tune. You really start watching every tick and seeing every clue that the market offers. At least this is how it was/is for me. Find something you think works and trade it as small as you can 10 trades in a row. Stick exactly to the rules and after just 10 times u will be amazed at what you see. good luck jim

#27     Jan 8, 2009
  8. Dustin

Dustin

Not sure how what you are saying is different from what I am saying. :confused:

#28     Jan 8, 2009
  9. danielc1

danielc1

How? I have to 'yet' meet a trader that has done it... And I do mean 'meet' in real life, not a 'somebody' on a internet forum that say he has done it...

If you are going to do it and succeed, more power to you. So my question is for real: How are you going to do that, what is your plan that is so different then all the other people that wants to trade and take years to develop?

#29     Jan 8, 2009
  10. jim c

jim c

I guess its really not. It made sense to me and I decide to chime in. sorry

#30     Jan 8, 2009