10 Beat Down Garbage Stocks w/ Dividends That Might Be Worth A Look

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by vanzandt, Mar 17, 2020.

1. vanzandt

vanzandt

$X US Steel $5.50 (.75%) Steel
    $M Macy's $6.30 (22.5%) Retail
    $F Ford $5 (12.5%) Auto
    $CLF Cleveland-Cliffs $4 (6%) Steel
    $BA (Garbage stock!?) $112 after hours tonight on news .... https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-boeing-idUSKBN2143TR (6.3%) Aerospace
    $EAT Brinker $8.50 (14.5%) Restaurant
    $CTL Century-Link $10.86 (10%) Telecommunications
    $IVZ Invesco $10 (14%) Finance
    $PK Park Hotels $6 (26%) Hotels/Resorts
    $CXW CoreCivic $11.82 (16.7%) Prisons

Catch a falling chainsaw.
    Edit: $CXW might be the best imo, for now at least. Or $BA. Maybe Ford, I still think someone in tech will strike a deal of some kind with them. Macy's owns a lot of nice real-estate, just the footprints alone. Trump won't let US Steel go under, so that's an election play really. I don't think Biden will either tbh.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  2. iprph90

iprph90

While you're at it.......How about stocks with a stable dividend over 2.5%, solid balance sheet, and strong profibility.

3. vanzandt

vanzandt

That's your job.

Same Lazy Element likes this.
  4. vanzandt

vanzandt

OK... I'll do one.
    Inbev ($BUD) $38 (5.4%)

Tbh... $CXW (above) fits that too. I'm kinda likin' it right now, albeit not a big fan of mass incarceration.

5. iprph90

iprph90

I'm lazy......but VFQY looks interesting. Vanguard ETF yield is a juicy 1.53%, expense ratio 13 basis points...not bad.

vanzandt likes this.
  6. iprph90

iprph90

:thumbsup:

vanzandt likes this.
  7. Overnight

Overnight

I saw JetBlue was about 10 bux. That seems cheep as hell, and they have great names for the planes in their fleet. Their attitude will lift them from this mess.

jys78 likes this.
  8. iprph90

iprph90

Airline stocks have finally recovered all their losses since September 11, 2001

After nearly 17 years, the airline industry has made it back to its level from just before the September 11 attack on the World Trade Center.

The NYSE Airline Index closed on September 10, 2001 at $116.97, re-opened September 17, 2011 at $69.85, and eventually bottomed just above $14 in March 2009. As of the market close on Wednesday, the index was at $118.12.

The nearly two-decade rebound comes after a confluence of factors allowed the industry to bounce back after looking like it was in serious trouble during the financial crisis.

Lower fuel costs, an increased numbers of flights while maintaining strong capacity levels, air passenger growth hitting its highest level in years, and a bounce back in inflation for ticket prices after a multi-decade decline have all contributed to strong profits for the industry.

Much of this has also come from a more shareholder-minded attitude for the industry over the time period. Capital expenditures on new planes have decreased and airlines have been stingy with increasing capacity in other ways to maintain strong margins.

Even Warren Buffett, the famed investor and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway, invested in all of the major US airlines during the first quarter of 2017 after saying the industry was a bad pick for years.

(h/t @charliebilello)

[​IMG]Business Insider/Andy Kiersz, data from Bloomberg

9. Karin42

Karin42

Yes, it definitely makes sense, it seems to me that there is nothing scary in the masses, sometimes there are situations when the quantity suppresses the quality, on the other hand there is no reason to consider these forecasts weak, because everyone can look at the charts and statistics to check these data. By the way, I basically think that any forecast that you see or hear is worth checking before risking your money. Still, you shouldn't lose caution even in the most advantageous and predictable situation, we're doing business, not playing. Besides, for everything to go smoothly, you can test everything with small amounts. I think that 1-2% will be quite enough.

10. Cabin111

Cabin111

A few things...Wondering if Trump will nationalize the airlines and Boeing?? Just a thought.

What if you bought Verizon...Hung on tight though it all. The pipes, DSL, 4/5 G. Hold onto that dividend (whatever they give) and ride it out?? Maybe not that crazy...

#10     Mar 18, 2020