10 A.M. Swing Time

Discussion in 'Trading' started by GD2KNO, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Hi Db,

I'm just going to copy & paste this from my previous message...

"...the prints serves an entire different purpose that allows me to to get things done while not at the computer..."

Maybe I should clarify that the word computer includes desktop, laptop or any electronic storage devices that's a pain to replace, fix or repair...

when something is accidentally spilled on you in the car...when someone saids turn-off all electronic devices on a airplane...faster way to travel through airports with all the new security features...easier to take a nap with a binder full of charts in your lap while at the library instead of trying to keep one eye open and one hand on the laptop for security reasons...

I can go on and on. :cool:
    ________

Note: I recently spent about 15mins at a security check point at OHare International (arriving from Seattle) opening up my laptop briefcase, booting up the laptop, opening up one program and then shutting it off and pulling out the hard-drive to show it to the security guy...a guy that didn't speak very good english.

I won't even go into details about what happen when they wanted a closer look at my PDA I was putting in my coat prior to boarding the plan via their so called "Random Searches" on my way to Montreal :mad:

I'm not looking forward to when I buy one of those portable DVD players for the spouse that hates the movies on airplanes....I'll probably have to play the movie past all the coming attractions (sarcasm).
    _________

Prints are simply more convienent in certain situations.

Besides...spending a few minutes every trading day to print on 4 pieces of paper to have future convienence is inexpensive and less hassles.

NihabaAshi

#11     Jan 14, 2003
  2. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

I read your message thoroughly. However, I went through the whole printed chart routine myself and was not happy with it. Foe one thing, I couldn't mark up the charts unless I was willing to print them out all over again, in which case I'd have two or three times as many charts to keep track of.

If what you're doing works for you, terrific. But I'd rather keep it all on the computer.

--Db

#12     Jan 14, 2003
  3. ddog

ddog

I agree with you about printing out intraday charts. There is nothing better than building a notebook of charts on paper and then taking time away from the computer to look them over. I have found price patterns this way that I didn't see while staring at the computer.

#13     Jan 14, 2003
  4. cartm

cartm

A question on camtasia.......how much hd space do you need to save say .......20 min worth of ticks?..........and do you record more than one chart at a time, or your entire workspace, lets say 6 charts, 2 screens. I just would like to know before I pick up a copy. TY.

#14     Jan 14, 2003
  5. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Isn't there a website that provides a chart marked
    in red, yellow, and green during different times of
    the trading day. The colors represented times when
    you should either be trading, or not trading.... and
    were an indicator of key reversal periods.

Does anyone have a copy of the chart (gif or jpeg)
    or know where the site is?

Thanks,

- Greg

#15     Jan 14, 2003
  6. ddog,

Completely agree.

Almost all my favorite trade setups were found via comparing a bunch of charts side-by-side while sitting on the patio sipping a cold one or on the floor in the TV room while eating popcorn...

instead of via studying charts on the computer's monitors.

In fact, its very difficult to compare (for example) today's intraday price action with a particular specific trading day of each of the past 7 weeks...

all on a monitor or on a few monitors.

Doing such would result in...way to much scrolling around and may lead to CTS (carpal tunnel syndrome) and/or headaches from the eye strain and/or the spouse yelling the market is close so turn off the computer...sarcasm again.

Simply, printed out charts allows me to visually put the puzzle together when the puzzle is spread out over a week, months or year...especially since I'm a discretionary trader.

Good trading today and I think I've hashed this print stuff out long enough.

NihabaAshi

#16     Jan 14, 2003
  7. gwb-trading,

I either saw someone here at ET posting info to such including a chart or I saw it in one of the futures threads over at Talkstox.com

Try checking Enthios.com website too.

If I remember where I saw the info...I will send you a pm of its location.

I have Camtasia on the computer with 3 monitors...its recording all info on all monitors...I've never tried a single monitor recording thus I don't know how many megabytes it will take for 20mins of recording on a single monitor.

I can test it tonight (single monitor) and tell you later.

Also, they have a 30day free trial...nothing to lose to try it. You can record specific areas or the entire screen.

Files are larger if you add in audio just in case you want to do commentary.

NihabaAshi

#17     Jan 14, 2003
  8. I agree that printing charts is useful, I still do it even if I have 3 monitors to work with. That's a way to do some pattern studies.
    I think that nothing will ever replace a regular sheet of paper for some purposes.

#18     Jan 14, 2003