10,000 ROI possible?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by nwose, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Mercor

Mercor

This is the real question.
    How many ES points can one make in a year.
    If you are positive for the year then the dollars are just a matter of scale.

Of course scaling needs to be balanced against draw down ability in both equity and psychology.

Do any of you naysayers have a reasonable number of how many points per ES contract can be made per year with sufficient equity?

#11     Jan 23, 2012
  2. hkrahra

hkrahra

''Do any of you naysayers have a reasonable number of how many points per ES contract can be made per year with sufficient equity?''

You will never know how much ES points you make before hand.

The very question is very dumb.

#12     Jan 23, 2012
  3. ES - Mini S&P 500

Realistic is a weekly goal of 30 - 50 points.

Lets take the 30p for example.
    Now lets say you are able to make it at least 3 of 4 weeks, thats 90p a month x 12 makes 1.080p a year.

But this is very hard, i think.

So we better divide this by 2 and then we have about 500 points a year.

That is realistic if you be a good trader.

cheers

#13     Jan 23, 2012
  4. AK100

AK100

Just out of interest, why would you want a billion+ $ and why would you need that much cash?

And please, try to be a little bit more original than saying 'jet, 2 boats, 6 houses and 20 cars'. That lifestyle isn't really anything to be envious about, or that enojoyable, but of course that's not what the marketers/tv wants you to think.

#14     Jan 23, 2012
  5. First of all OP, its quite pathetic that you have to delute ET with these ridiculous joke threads. No retail trader will make 2 billion, let alone 50 million. Nor will you ever trade 400 contracts in the ES. Its just too much size, even with an account in the millions.
    I'm sure there's a few traders trading that size, but they are far and few btwn

ALSO:

1600 points / year averages out to 30 points per week. I think averaging 30 points per week is COMPLETELY unreasonable on a week by week average.

When I became profitable trading the ES, I was making 10 points / week. As I became more efficient, increased my size, scaled out, and caught larger moves, that number increased slightly. But 30 points / week ? No way.

Remember: 10 points / week x 4 contracts = $100k / yr not including commisions

#15     Jan 23, 2012
  6. Any weekly target is not realistic, unless it begins with a negative sign

#16     Jan 23, 2012
  7. 1. Keep your job.
    2. If you have a gf or wife, dump them.
    3. If you own a house, sell it.
    4. If you own a new car, give it back and get a hoopty. Make sure it is a reliable hoopty tho.
    5. Open an Oanda account.
    6. Fund it with one dollar, yes, I said one dollar.
    7. Begin trading, and go thru the learning curve.

If your system actually works, you can turn one dollar into one million dollars. All you have to do is double your money 21 times.

Lastly, this is all opinion and not to be considered investment advice of any kind.

Enjoy life.

#17     Jan 23, 2012
  8. Ah yes, you are right.

I am sorry, with this weekly average of 30p in the ES.
    I just have thought in my common terms of how i always watch about >20 products to trade, then that 30p is no problem.

But with only one market, you be very good with 10p a week, of course.
    If forgot we are talking here just about 1 market.
    Thats not my cheese here, i am an multiple products trader, so i am flexibel and can always trade the best setups for what i think they are.....sorry.....

30p on the ES alone a week is totaly bullshit....

#18     Jan 23, 2012
  9. Here you are wrong.

Without targets you make less money, than the other way.

Targets push your self to best performance.

This is called work, you know.

#19     Jan 23, 2012
  10. Lucias

Lucias

The returns possible are indeed high...

10k with 100% return per year over 10 years will produce

I have a single system that can do that, doesnt trade very much. The key is you need a mechanism to take profits out in case it completely fails. This will reduce return but still could produce say 2-3 million.

For best traders returns 30% to 300% is best case... I have systems that can do 5x returns but only by trading on a higher frequency.. The problem with such system is that it is difficult to verify because the avg profits are so small. Currently I'm running experiments to attempt to verify..

The difficult part for discretionary trader is you need at least 5 years before the returns start to really grow.. you start with 10k and do 100% per year in 3 years you're only up 80k.. I think the systems may have a benefit in executing over the long run.

Making a lot of points is not required.. wrong way to think about it. if you can average just $100/day on a 5k account (2 points) then that's a 5x return

#20     Jan 23, 2012