1% profit per day

Discussion in 'Trading' started by lojze, Aug 5, 2002.

1. m22au

m22au

This is absolutely ridiculous. 1% a day is about 250% over a year (if all profits are withdrawn at end of day) or 1200% over a year compounded.

Granted this is possible, but to suggest that people who can't achieve these figures are "either new, have poor training or are in the wrong business" is plain silly.

There's nothing wrong with 0.5% per day or even less.

#31     Aug 6, 2002
  2. m22au

m22au

No, you're wrong rs7. The moment you start trying to make an amount significantly greater than you do currently, is the moment your trading overall goes downhill. If you have size, (you said you did) a smaller % return on the overall account is better than 1% on a smaller account.

#32     Aug 6, 2002
  3. fleance

fleance

--------AFTER ONE YEAR--------
    1% per day for the past *one* year would be

(1 + 0.01 / day)^ (1 years*250days/year) = 1.01^250 = 12 = 1200%

If you started with 25k, after 1 year you would have $300k!!

---------AFTER TWO YEARS------
    1% per day for the past *two* years would be

(1 + 0.01 / day)^ (2 years*250days/year) = 1.01^500 = 144.77 = 14,477%

If you started with 25k, after 5 years you would have $3.6 mln!!

---------AFTER FIVE YEARS-------
    1% per day for the past five years would be

(1 + 0.01 / day)^ (5 years*250days/year) = 1.01^1250 = 252,183 = 25,218,300%

If you started with 25k, after 5 years you would have $6.3 BILLION!!

Fleance

#33     Aug 6, 2002
  4. arzoo

arzoo

Based on what I've heard, all depends on the amount, smaller amounts can go up to that level, but as you grow it becomes harder because u arent able to get fully invested and arent able to get in and out as you would like to.

For those who mentioned they make 1% daily, is this on your capital or 1% on the total marginable amount?

And I assume those who have given a daily $ figure, that you guys are day traders?

#34     Aug 6, 2002
  5. Geezer

Geezer

Mr. Marketsurfer

boos is a reference to buy on open orders (long or short)
    Heres a tip: When big traders (working for a house) go indy and trade their own money, most that I know work the first 30 minutes with boos. I am not referring to prop house fv strategy here but rather a gamble based on numerous factors as whether to go long or short on open on individual stocks. Try it with paper, if you have a feel for it you will never do anything else. In a basket scenario some guys can go positive 50 days in row although they flip long to short 5 times in that 30 min.

Sorry but this kind of trading doesn't have a formula like fv calculations, thats for rookies. The decision is based on news, knowing the stock, sensing sector sentiment etc. You might have a feel for it, try it with paper.

And m22au, give me a break. If you really are from a commonwealth country (Australia) then you have enough sense to know that someone trading a 25,000 account and not making at least 1% is wasting their time unless they are still learning. Don't set your sights so low, I can't believe you young guys.

#35     Aug 6, 2002
  6. m22au

m22au

I'm confused what being from a certain country has to do with this. Has it got something to do with average incomes? Just a guess. I'm really not sure.

But I still disagree with your idea of wasting their time. Averaging less than $250 a day on a $25,000 account is not wasting time for someone once they have "finished learning".

If you could expect to make a consistent 1% a day on that size, one assumes that you could make slightly less on a larger account, and be making $100,000 plus a year consistently. Not all traders are that successful.

#36     Aug 6, 2002
  7. Geezer

Geezer

Sorry, you have au in your name which is a signal you are from down under, but obviously not in your case. Just trying to be friendly.

A good trader working a small acct will make 1% per hour, but the same trader working a large account will be happy at 1/4 % per day, in other words compounding doesn't apply in trading because percentage profits come much harder when the account gets size.

On a $30 stock if a trader goes 4 to 1 on margin and nabs a dime he has 1% after costs. You seem to think that takes a genius. You could do it a dozen times on BGEN tomorrow.

#37     Aug 6, 2002
  8. m22au

m22au

#38     Aug 6, 2002
  9. lojze

lojze

Geezer, what do you think, where starts large account?

And, what do you like in BGEN so much? It's no special in my eyes.

Lojze

#39     Aug 6, 2002
  10. the one thing that nobody ever talks about is the losing days. Denial ain't just a river in egypt.

"Gee, if I could just have 250 net positive days in a row I would be rich! "

lol, what a joke !

#40     Aug 6, 2002