1) Multicharts Lifetime License + IB vs 2) TradeStation

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by garchbrooks, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Yep. I don't use multicharts anymore. For the one thing MC was better at than TS, I just wrote that piece in C++ on my own. I couldn't justify the expense.

I know for other guys it makes sense, but I'm just a small-time retail trader with a small account trying to educate myself about remove-only retail strategies. To throw $99/month away for one specific feature and for a feature I had difficulty getting to work with my DLLs was just too much.

I'm 75% happy with TradeStation. I like that the platform is free after 5k shares. At first, I was concerned I couldn't do that volume, but it became really easy once I started running the strategies every day.

I wish TradeStation supported alternative plugins outside of EL, like maybe C++ strategies though. There's lots of things on my wish list, but it looks like TS decided they wanted to put their developer effort on that strategy network to compete with the likes of Collective2. I hope they profit, but their platform has other much needed things I wish they would address. Namely, portfolio level testing.

#31     May 2, 2010
  2. I don't think this guy has a hidden agenda. I think he's just very happy that TS has met his needs on a number of levels. I've found his advice, even when presented in a contrarian tone, to be worth its weight in gold. His advice, for me as a recently heavy user of TS, has been the difference between profit and loss.

#32     May 2, 2010
  3. ok thanks Proflogic.

What about backtesting features on bid/ask volume historical data serie with MC in order to evaluate CVD indicators?

#33     May 3, 2010
  4. I should've just said worth gold. Advice has no weight, so perhaps e-gold? I've lived here my whole life and the more I write, the more I realize I use some phrases totally incorrectly.

#34     May 3, 2010
  5. ptcm33

ptcm33

I am currently using MC with IB datafeed to trade futures.

I would like to have the US stocks, ie, IBM feed into MC.

Can someone please tell me the root symbol that I am supposed to use on the "symbol root" on the quote manager ?

I've tried "IBM", "IBM.US" IBM US" but it doesn't work. what's the trick ?

similar questions, for HK stocks, 949 HK. what root symbol should I use ?

many thanks...

#35     Dec 19, 2010
  6. The trick with IB data feed is not to create the symbol manually, but to add it using "Add symbol > from data feed" dialog in quote manager. The reason your IBM symbol (added manually) is not recognized by IB is that the description field of your symbol did not match the description field that IB has set for that symbol. This is specific to IB and does not apply if you used other data feeds.
    Best,

#36     Dec 19, 2010
  7. ptcm888

ptcm888

so what's the description and root symbol am I supposed to use for IBM ?

thanks.

#37     Dec 19, 2010
  8. mark1

mark1 Guest

Hope it helps :)

[​IMG]

#38     Dec 22, 2010
  9. ptcm33

ptcm33

mark1, thanks a lot.

I've got it working now.

#39     Dec 22, 2010
  10. fliesch

fliesch

Several questions before I might purchase MC:

1. In a backtest is a buy at market order filled at the current inside ask or not (exact realistic fill)?
    2. Is it possible (concering RAM/speed) to backtest barwise e.g. 1h and filling on the at barclose durrent bid/ask price for e.g. 1 year of data? How quick?
    3. Is a marketscanner like Radar screen included?

#40     Jan 3, 2011