1) Multicharts Lifetime License + IB vs 2) TradeStation

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by garchbrooks, Jan 18, 2010.

1. If those are the issues that are important to you then that's fine. All of the things you mention above are worthless to me...

This is what I get with TS that I won't get from MC:

-Reliable, filtered data. I don't have a use for 20 feeds, I just want 1 solid one that works.
    -Ability to auto-trade very large portfolios relaibly (1k symbols +). Can't do this with MC.
    -Decent historical data.
    -Ability to create macros/use add-ins that do pretty much everything and more than MC does.
    -Great forums with a wide variety of add-ins and tested procedures.

These are the issues of importance to me. The fact is many of you here likely do not use the tool in the same way I do, and, therefore do not care about the critical features that I value. The core of TS is what I care about: data+order generation. I don't give a rats ass about charts, backtesting or fancy software/technical BS, I want something that *trades* the way I want it to reliably. TS does this better than anything else I've found thus far, and, I say this after getting quotes for custom end-to-end autotrading solutions from some very experienced people.

That said, I have used MC and think its a decent product, but it does not meet my needs.

Mike

#21     Apr 17, 2010
  2. Do you have a vested interest in TS? Do you hold TS stock? All I have read are complains about this product. Its rating is too low here:

http://www.elitetrader.com/br/?action=view&R_FirmID=119

In another thread you jumped on me idiot because I defended a product I have been using for some time now and it has made money for me. You made some very dense accusations and it only took a simple search to find out that just two weeks before that you have done the same for the tool you use, or you claim to be using, TS.

This post of yours is a proof you have a hidden agenda.

#22     May 2, 2010
  3. tortoise

tortoise

I want MC and TS both to prosper. That's better for everybody. Competition, after all, is good.

That being said, please note: MC will work with TS data ... as well as DTN, eSignal, Reuters, Bloomberg, etc.

In other words, if you seek TS' "reliable" and "decent" data feed, you can use it with MC.

If you're using TS, their data better be "reliable" and "decent"

'Cuz if it ain't ... well, you're fucked.

#23     May 2, 2010
  4. Yes, competition is good. I didn't know that MC can work with TS data - that's good to know, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

And yes, I've been screwed a few times by the TS data feed, it goes down maybe 1-3 times per year, but, its usually a relatively graceful recovery and we are talking an hour or two of down time.

Do you know if MC has a radarscreen like feature?

Thanks,
    Mike

#24     May 2, 2010
  5. So what is your vested interest in TS? Do you own stock in that company?

#25     May 2, 2010
  6. This is getting more than a bit ridiculous. I am sure Mike has no vested interest in TS. Neither do I. TS is a vastly superior solution over MC, and we have all talked about why in various posts. For a trading platform (taking a quote from real estate and paraphrasing it), 3 most important thighs are : data, data & data. TS has one of the most extensive data among any retail platforms in business. MC has zero. TS has very tight integration with their own trading servers, MC has band aids.

#26     May 2, 2010
  7. tortoise

tortoise

Yes they do, but it's not as good as TS' :p

#27     May 2, 2010
  8. tortoise

tortoise

Dude, I totally respect your preference for TS. Really. But, for heavens' sake:

1) MC WORKS WITH TRADESTATION DATA. So TS' "extensive" data does not, in and of itself, constitute and advantage over MC.

2) MC HAS NO "BANDAID" integration with its trading servers.

Why?

BECAUSE MC HAS NO TRADING SERVERS. MC IS NOT A BROKER

Can we please compare apples-to-apples here?

#28     May 2, 2010
  9. Is TS or MC able to test correctly historical data against bid/ask volume in order to calculate cumulative volume data indicators?

#29     May 2, 2010
  10. TS can't build the bars correctly so there isn't a possibility to test them or the indicators running on them.

#30     May 2, 2010