$1 million lottery ticket for sale

Discussion in 'Trading' started by austinp, Jan 21, 2007.

1. <i>"once again a simple search on Google would have eliminated the need for this thread. About half of the questions asked on ET..........."</i>

Google searches aren't the answer for everything in life, <b>F</b>. Once again someone on ET fires from the lip on mindless assumption. Touche`?

The gentleman in question bought an instant-win type scratch off ticket... there was/is no choice for lump sum payment.

Initial offers from the commercial lenders is something above $200k. The ticket holder wants more than seven years' worth of payments after tax, whether he gets it or not remains to be seen. He's trying to do better than the commercial offers, as would any person with a smattering of common sense.

I think he'd settle for something in the low $300s now, and his story is becoming wide-spread here in our area.

Eventually, he'll find a buyer at some price. I merely posted here to see if anyone was interested in a fixed rate guaranteed for 20 years. Why anyone would be skeptical of this thread is way beyond me... what's a motive for making something like this up?

Lastly, what he does with any money after death (whenever that may be) is his choice, right now he's focused on possible means to recovery or at least remission. Wouldn't you do the same? I certainly would... with or without a windfall of cash.

Bottom line, if anyone wants to make an offer for his annuity, please PM me. Enjoy the football games, and have a great weekend!

#21     Jan 21, 2007
  2. Am I the only one who finds the 'my friend is dying.... have a great weekend!' post ending a bit out of place?

#22     Jan 21, 2007
  3. My accquaintance = friend has a terminal illness, that he may or may not beat. I could be diagnosed with something terminal myself on next exam. I'm leaving the office right now for an hour-long road trip. There is a chance I may be killed in traffic along the way.

Life is precarious... tomorrow (or even later today) is promised to no one. Enjoy every moment of your journey here on earth. Have a great weekend!

#23     Jan 21, 2007
  4. are you trying to imply that i shouldn't have a great week also? :)

#24     Jan 21, 2007
  5. <i>"are you trying to imply that i shouldn't have a great week also? "</i>

(hearty laugh) I hope it's your best week ever, with many more to follow after that!

#25     Jan 21, 2007
  6. gnome

gnome

J. G. Wentworth advertises for this kind of thing all the time.

However, I saw one example where they paid only about 22% of a total 10 year income stream... probably would be less for a 20 year.

#26     Jan 21, 2007
  7. zdreg

zdreg

specifically how would terror management theory help in this situation?

#27     Jan 21, 2007
  8. zzzzzzzzzzzz.....dreg,s..

#28     Jan 21, 2007
  9. taking ideas from TMT and EDT ( existential dissonance theory ).

it suggests that we live our lives in a state of terror due to our inherent morality (finite time in existance, temporal limitations) and our isolation (confined to a physical body, spatial limitations). causing us to create different ideas / lifestyles in order to combat these two limitations.

having a family is a good way to feel that we no longer bound to our temporal limitations since we have children and grandchildren etc which will outlast us, his spatial limitations since part of him 'exists' beyond the limitations of his body. the theory suggests that having overcome these limitations (somewhat) he would finish off his life living happier and not fearing his own mortality (as much).

ya. they call it a theory for a reason. :D

#29     Jan 21, 2007
  10. austinp? why don't you buy it for yourself?

#30     Jan 21, 2007