1 ES point a day

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by S&P MiniTrader, Jun 3, 2009.

1. There is no 'get rich quick'.

Sorry. It takes time, patience, and a but load of discipline. Everyone at some point has thought about how much they COULD make on some random scheme. Scheme's don't work. Develop a trading plan with positive expectancy. Backtest it. Forward test it. Start small, then increase cars as you profit.

I personally despise inverse r/r systems, but I'm sure many people work them well. with a 1 point target and a 2 point stop, you are going to need to maintain higher than 50% accuracy to break even...figure a tick for commish.

#21     Jun 3, 2009
  2. Like I said, you are not the first and won't be the last guy to come here and aim for 1 point a day and ask for max lots with 1 tick slippage.

Let me save you the trouble...IT DOESN'T work that way in the ES. ES wiggles, always. Learn to be right, not to be accurate to the tick.

#22     Jun 3, 2009

3. with w/l ratio of 8/2 the 2 stop 1 profit math works fine in my math book.

#23     Jun 3, 2009
  4. Thank you for your advice.
    If I will not ask the Q. I will not know the A. before get my fingers in the fire to see if its hot and with all you guys here already have tested the water, its the best place to ASK and LISTEN.

#24     Jun 3, 2009
  5. I have been "in the waters" for 10 yrs. Not saying I am the zen master but I have been around the block. You are free to try to catch 1 pt a day with 1 tick slippage, just saying it's very unlikely.

And I'm not against inverted R/R, nothing wrong with that, all that matters is your win rate is very high. Mine is very high, but that's a function of a lot of trial and error and experience. In the end, this game mostly comes down to persistence, adaptation and emotional control.

#25     Jun 3, 2009
  6. limit

limit

The problem isn't getting the one point. The real rub comes with doing it with a hundred or two hundred contracts. When this jittery sucker goes against you 2 or 3 times in a row before you can blink, you're down 15k. That's the part 999 out of 1000 traders can't do. It's easy to say you're the fastest gunfighter, somebody shooting back changes the dynamic big time.

#26     Jun 3, 2009
  7. Westward

Westward

Studs in this game make +$300k a year with just 10k in the account.

No need to carry any more than that with $500 leverage.

Not saying its me by any means but I do know some, and none troll on ET.

#27     Jun 3, 2009
  8. It certainly does.

Now go get rich! lol

#28     Jun 3, 2009
  9. 1 Point Profit target with 1 tick slippage allowance + commissions.
    $30 per car net for your winners.

Stop @ 2 points + 1 tick slippage + commissions = Approx $120.
    You will need to bat better than 800 to maintain a profitable account.

You can easily push 200 contracts through using either limit orders or instantaneous market orders extrapolated from DOM.
    Your broker is going to love your business.

But to be constructive:

Take a look at trend / counter trend entries. Run some stats on using entries with the trend at 2nd 1 point Pull back (minimum trend of 5 points) and counter trend entries 2nd Lower High for reversal.

You'll limit the number of entries and may find a statistical model worth fine tuning. Whipsawing markets will bleed you.

As appealing as 1 point seems you really need at minimum to double the slippage and trading costs for both winning and losing trades (approx $40 per contract).

Be more selective with your trades and try to capture at least 2 points. You will only need to bat 500 to stay profitable.

Some one else suggested 2 point stop 6 point profit...
    Can you bat 333?

#29     Jun 3, 2009
  10. Trading contracts with $500 per is just asking for trouble. $500 is 10 points, which is nothing. I've seen thirty-second bars larger than that.

And there are always problems that are out of your control. Power outages, CME outages, technical problems, brokerage problems, fat finger moves.

Expect the unexpected, and for god's sake use more than 500 per.

#30     Jun 3, 2009