1% a week

Discussion in 'Journals' started by tradestrong, Aug 26, 2007.

Are 1% gains per week realistic?

1. Very much so

90 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. Not at all

6 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. Maybe

28 vote(s)
    20.1%
  4. Unlikely

15 vote(s)
    10.8%
  1. I've decided to start my own journal. I will be shooting for very modest 1% gains per week.

I will be using small positions initially and I will be using a swing trading strategy of which I will not hold a stock for more than 2 weeks. It will also be a very mechanical approach.

Let's see how it goes!

I'm currently long MATX at 26.82.

2. ozzie123

ozzie123

around 50% a year, that's a very doable goal (especially if you're a trader on a medium sized account).

Best of luck to you!

3. snowbank

snowbank

what's considered a medium sized account?

4. minx

minx

Between small and large....:p

5. snowbank

snowbank

i have zero experience trading so if you could help that'd be great. you help me with that i'll help you with your jokes.:)

6. Johno

Johno

You certainly are a a little minx aren't you!

7. Here is my first week of swing trading. I'm starting very small and will scale up depending on success rates. I hope to do more trades in future weeks, but I didn't see very many opportunities I liked this week.

Shorted GS at 172.67, covered 67% of position at 177.85 for a loss of 3%.

Short BSC at 109.28
    Long MATK at 26.82

8. I think 1% is very doable if you have the patience, discipline, and good money management practices.

One potential problem I see is that your risk amount looks to be greater than your target rate. ie You lost 3% on your first trade. So it looks like you are risking at a minimum 3% to earn 1% thus to achieve your goal you would have to have a very high winning pct (which is possible).

To improve your odds of success I'd suggest trying to improve your risk/reward ratio so you don't need such a high winning % to achieve your goal (see attached .xls).

I think your goal is very doable and I'm pulling for you!

Best of luck!

9. dhpar

dhpar

i don't think 1% is doable by shorting financials - but I was wrong on this one already once (well documented here) :).

1% a week is about 70% a year - that is tough to do consistently every year but possible.

10. mde2004

mde2004

I would personally shoot for 3% a week. Why not make more???

#10     Sep 3, 2007