1/4 in Spain unemployed.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by noob_trad3r, May 6, 2013.

1. clacy

clacy

It's still down more than 50% from its 2007 highs, so I'm not ready to say it's doing "well".

#31     May 6, 2013
  2. bonds

bonds

Thats like saying the nasdaq isnt doing well because its way off its all time high... any time a national stock index is up 24% in a year that is pretty good return

#32     May 6, 2013
  3. zdreg

zdreg

their currency is the euro.

#33     May 6, 2013
  4. Once I had 100 million. I lost 99.9% to $1. but this year I made 24 cents. That is 24%.

if the average Spaniard doesn't have an account, then it doesn't matter. just like America. making the wrong people rich, while making the suckers think everyone is fine.

hey, look at all these buildings!! the market is up 50%!! new car sales up big!! new home sales up big!!! if it doesn't affect you, it doesn't matter. in fact, it makes your life worse, sometimes.

so now make 100 million and pay no taxes!!!!

#34     May 6, 2013
  5. I wouldn't look for much correlation between a particular economy and its stock market in the era of central bank largesse.

Just look at how US markets react to bad data...another excuse for umpteen more years of ZIRP and "quantitative easing".

#35     May 6, 2013
  6. clacy

clacy

You're right. They have a thriving, vibrant economy that is signified by a stock market that is still halved from its all time high values.

#36     May 6, 2013
  7. zdreg

zdreg

husband to wife: soup is hot and burned my tongue
    wife to husband: so, do you want your soup cold?

your remark doesn't make sense.
    take a course in logic.

#37     May 7, 2013
  8. luisHK

luisHK

Possibly not so stupid though, hot weather tend to make people lazy, and it might not come as a surprise that Andalucia has as usual the worst uneployment in Spain. Another important issue is the lack of diversification of the economy - I know few people there whose livelihood wasn't related to construction before the crisis - give credit to spaniards for managing to cover whole hills (small ones) with concrete.

Not so interested abt short time ho's but it might be a top place in Europe for sugarbabies.

#38     May 7, 2013
  9. luisHK

luisHK

Also don't forget that at Franco's death in 1975, Spain was considered almost a thirld world country, but a couple of decades later it had become the economic miracle of Europe. I'm just guessing here, but possibly the harder hit there is linked to a similarly impressive rise.

I kindda like spain but the country is in a mess, 2 of my last 4 trips there were cancelled at last minute because of airlines strikes and i'm very wary to book any flight there - it got even worse than France.

#39     May 7, 2013
  10. I think what you see on tv and what is really going on is quite different, that is why you don't see 25% of the population rioting in the streets.

they must have a very vibrant black market that doesn't get reported in government statistics

#40     May 7, 2013