1/2 of teachers in US come from bottom 1/3 of their class

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lucrum, May 13, 2013.

1. 1) You fail to grasp my premise is self evident.

2) You fail to recognize the difference between Professors and education majors (ie teachers)

a) Professors have to be experts in their field of study, and are not always required to have "teacher credentials". I guess the weird exception would be professors of education but hopefully you get my point.

b) Teachers field of expertise is supposedly "education" not necessarily the subject that they are teaching the lil crumb snatchers.

3) Average intelligence on average is 100, and that is sufficiently low to be in the bottom 1/3 of college graduate IQ range.

#21     May 13, 2013
  2. jem

jem

So while I do feel most teachers are over paid and under qualifed I have run into some good ones.

-----

Today I was at my 5 th graders play in San Diego CA.

It was about colonial america... and was the first patriotic anything I have I have seen in in 7 years or so of going to school plays.

It was good... it was funny the kids song turn of last century patriotic songs by famous composers.

It makes me compelled to say that the music teacher who put on the play ( Ms. Tsing.) made me proud of my son's school.

I wonder if she is realated to Tsing Tao.

#22     May 13, 2013
  3. jem

jem

that is the problem right there... well done.

#23     May 13, 2013
  4. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Teaching is a 10 month position in most states now. In North Carolina school ends in mid-June and starts up in mid-August (including required teacher work days at the beginning & end).

#24     May 13, 2013
  5. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

I agree that IMO that teachers are not generally the brightest of the lot. However the measurement used in this case was GPA. Teaching is considered one of 'easy' majors and this actually leads to grade inflation for teaching majors at many universities - where it is easy for a fairly mediocre education student to get a GPA above 3.5.

You can make the case possibly that 1/2 of teachers are in the bottom 1/3 of academic ability or an IQ test - but this was not the subject of the McKinsey or any other study - the assertion was that the teachers' GPAs for 1/2 the teachers was in the bottom 1/3. This is an assertion shown to be wrong by figures published by many universities.

#25     May 13, 2013
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

LOL

You just described my exact opinion of YOU. You're averse to ANY information that doesn't confirm your, often silly, preconceived notions. You're biased and closed minded to the extreme yet accuse others that disagree with you of the same. You prefer statements that start with "I think" to any facts or studies.
    You virtually never if ever admit you're wrong. You think you know better than experts in their field. You think you're much smarter than you really are.

Stick to what you know asshole. Driving nails and roofing.

#26     May 13, 2013
  7. pspr

pspr

#27     May 13, 2013
  8. Another example of your willful (hopefully) ignorance. I think I'll run down to the local bar for a beer and talk to someone that's civil and nice. Catch you later.

#28     May 13, 2013
  9. Lucrum

Lucrum

...You're aversion to ANY information that doesn't confirm your, often silly, preconceived notions. You're biased and closed minded to the extreme yet accuse others that disagree with you of the same. You prefer statements that start with "I think" to any facts or studies.
    You virtually never if ever admit you're wrong. You think you know better than experts in their field. You think you're much smarter than you really are.

#29     May 13, 2013
  10. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

I must state that I was not aware of the second McKinsey study which is based on SAT/ACT scores.

Still the summary in the article is "Overall, then, the blanket assertion that teachers are coming from the “bottom third” of graduates is, at best, an incomplete picture."

If you go to the McKinsey report (linked in the article); it is entirely focussed on how to attract the top 1/3 of students into teaching. It does not really make the assertion that 1/2 of students are in the bottom 1/3. The separate appendix document ("Closing the talent gap: Attracting and retaining top-third graduates to careers in teaching THE APPENDIX") does not really demonstrate this either despite the article quoting a footnote out of context.

Bottom Line: Are K-12 teachers in the U.S. generally the best & brightest students? No. Are most capabile professionals that can teach students and have them learn? Yes. Should we be blaming teachers for the continuing demise of public education in the U.S.? No - there are plenty of other people a lot more responsible for educational failures in our school systems - I guess that we start placing the blame where it belongs - with the parents, administrators, and politicians.

#30     May 13, 2013