1/2 of teachers in US come from bottom 1/3 of their class

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lucrum, May 13, 2013.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

god dammit, we can't even trust The Smithsonian to print facts anymore?

#11     May 13, 2013
  2. pspr

pspr

Really!!! Are you sure? :confused: :confused:

Summer vacation only lasts 2 months now?

#12     May 13, 2013
  3. Just using a little common sense would make one question those stats in the opening post. Like most statistics you got to look a little deeper and ask yourself some questions before biting hook line and sinker.

#13     May 13, 2013
  4. Sorry but when I was in college education majors were the dimmest of the lot.

Maybe that's because we didn't have an african studies major.

#14     May 13, 2013
  5. Lucrum

Lucrum

Says the guy who hates facts and statistics?

Not to even mention, unlike you, I immediately accepted they were false when pointed out by a reputable source.

#15     May 13, 2013
  6. 1) Not so fast there bubba.

2) Yeah well ranking the class by GPA is fucking stupid anyway.
    a) because the most classes of a graduate would be from their major, significantly skewing the easier majors upwards and the harder majors downward.

3) So yes 1/2 the teachers can still come from the bottom 1/3 of the class in academic ability or IQ test.

#16     May 13, 2013

7. Actually that's kinda funny when you consider my post above.

#17     May 13, 2013
  8. EricP

EricP

I have little doubt that the stats in the opening post are likely correct. It's been 25 years since I graduated from the University of Maryland, but during my student years I recall the student newspaper publishing the SAT scores of students based upon their chosen field of study (grouped by the college of study, such as College of Engineering, College of Life Sciences, College of Humanities, College of Education, etc). Out of the ~15 colleges at the university, the students with the lowest incoming SAT scores were those in the College of Education (those studying to be teachers). I'd be surprised if this wasn't still the case today.

Edit: Here's a link showing average SAT scores by the intended major of the student.

http://www.joshuakennon.com/sat-sco...ollege-major-show-teachers-are-below-average/

It shows that future teachers score about 70 points below average SAT scores. Certainly not the best and brightest as apparently is the case in Finland. I'm not sure why this fact would surprise anyone.

#18     May 13, 2013
  9. I don't agree with you premise until it's proven but you are approching the stats corretly in questioning and asking what if. From my recollection of college most of my professors were above average intelligence, a few were exceptional teachers and experts in their field. My sample size of one is skewed but you would of think I'd a seen a few dim wits. Also the public teachers I know seem at least average intelligence on average.

#19     May 13, 2013

10. The statistics you posted did not conflict with the point I was making, and they supported what I was saying in regards to teen suicide. Your misunderstanding of my argument and of the statistics is consistent with your unwillingness to see past your talking points, unable to fathom, understand or even put fort the slightest effort to have an open minded conversation when you think the views oppose your beliefs. It is your fundamentalist attitude that makes every conversation with you tiring and pointless.

#20     May 13, 2013