$1,000 and emini index futures

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by increasenow, May 23, 2007.

1. They are sharing their thoughts. Your $1000 will probably be gone in a week or two. It is WAY too little to trade eminis. You will be controlling like 50-60,000 worth of underlying stock. What makes you think you can go in with a grand and successfully make real money?

Try SPYdrs or another ETF for the time being. You have much to learn first...

The problem is, you aren't listening

#11     May 23, 2007
  2. thanks Osorico!...perfect advice...really appreciate it!

#12     May 23, 2007
  3. Beliefs are useless in trading. The market does not care what you believe, only what you do. And with $1,000 you must be a newbie and I believe you will lose it all.

#13     May 23, 2007
  4. 1000

probably better to look at 1000 lots rather than $1000, and the market pushes me around like i am nothing

anyway its nice to see that China which is a lot lot lot greater than me, may have bankrupted itself trying to be the market

you have got to know why you want to trade, a burning desire deep down inside that will never make you quit, that will always want you to be in the game, no matter what the circumstances, no matter how low, no matter how high (how high is a Chinaman Ha Ha :D)

and you have to be ruthless, a tooth for a tooth, an eye for an eye

#14     May 23, 2007

5. I'm not trying to be unkind, but all of your threads have the strong scent of desperation to them. You're clearly someone who has no clue and no edge, and you're grasping for a way to make money--somehow, anyhow--in the markets. What you should "increase now" is your study of the markets, your motivations, and your strengths and weaknesses. What you should not do is trade real money. In fact, you shouldn't even paper trade because you don't appear to have the first hint of a trading plan. Any success you do have will be likely be pure luck, and that will simply encourage you to trade live without a plan (and subsequently lose your money).

Unless you're a true natural to the markets (i.e., like the Pinball Wizard in Tommy), it usually takes years of time and effort to come up with a successful plan and learn to trade that plan correctly and consistently (I'm going to assume you're not a natural). What I'm seeing with your desperate questions is someone who wants an answer handed to you, without doing the requisite work. Save your money and educate yourself. You need to realize that sometimes the right direction is not the one in which you want to go.

#15     May 23, 2007
  6. hello everyone...wow, I did not mean to "stir this up"...I am just a guy who loves futures trading and wanting to know honest opinions from you all...all is cool...please do not be frustrated at all...PEACE...:) :)

#16     May 23, 2007
  7. feb2865

feb2865

open an account with any forex bucket shop like oanda or GFT forex, any of them(they're all tied up by the tails in my opinion) and trade a mini account with micro lots

use mental stop-loss always

I mean, I assume your goal is to make money, well fuck the e-minis and jump into forex at least for a while

when you have acumulated a decent capital to trade on mini's, then get out of the darkness and come to heaven, we will welcome you again in the family, brother

peace

#17     May 23, 2007
  8. Excellent advice. I started over a year ago with a live account. A friend of mine who is a professional trader said unless I had a definite system that I would just be giving my money away. Four months and $2500 later I have to say I agree with him. Save yourself the needless loss and take the advice given here.

#18     May 23, 2007
  9. jsmooth

jsmooth

This is what i would do (strategy wise)....I would just do one trade each morning (with 1 contract, and build up size)....the strategy would be playing the morning/opening gap:

If the s&p gaps up or down (less than 5 handels) fade the gap (but place my entry orders at the globex high or low from the night session)...then i'll just HOPE the gap gets filled and close out the position.

Or i would try to do another play/strategy that would try to capture a market trend day....get into the market (in the direction of the trend) as early as possible, and just close out the position at the close.

With only $1000 you really just have to sit back and HOPE your first few trades arent losers (regardless of your strategy/edge)

#19     May 23, 2007

10. i think global has a good program, but not with the 300.00 margins--- in order to get the 300.00 margin, you will be paying 10.00 plus roundturn for the eminis. go with the 500.00 margin, get the free Xtrader ( if they still offer it to new accounts) and 5.00 round turns. with one trade, 95 points negative on YM till your out. each trade will cost you 5.00 so figure out how many times you can enter with losses, etc. i reccomend learning to use Xtrader on the demo, then trade one contract by reading the dom.

it can be done. good luck!

surf

#20     May 23, 2007