$1,000,000 in 3 Months

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Tums, Aug 20, 2006.

1. The people pontificating about possibilities of doing this and that...
    Ignore the mathematical laws of risk/reward that apply to ALL securities strategies...
    Except insider info and market manipulation approaches.

If you are not familiar with Gambler's Ruin...
    You definitely should not be gambling/trading or, especially, ** giving advice **.

Someone tryining to roll a small bankroll to $1M in a few months...
    Would have a < 1% chance of success...
    And a > 99% chance of getting wiped out...
    Before slinking back to their day job.

There is nothing heroic or noble about taking wild risks.
    This thread is about as sophisticated as buying a lottery ticket.

#41     Aug 21, 2006
  2. Yee Sian

Yee Sian

“A 750 % gain in two months might indicate rather aggressive risk preferences - and a desire to self-destruct.” - Ed Seykota

#42     Aug 21, 2006
  3. HDO

Could you comment on how the SEC could construe a trading approach to be insider trading.

To be more specific, the SEC has chosen to issue citations to some people for insider trading. They were not insider trading but their trading mimics insider trading as the SEC observes their accounts and then issues citations.

The reason I am asking you is to simply find out if a trading method could be considered insider trading if the SEC is detecting it as such and issuing citations.

Another popint i would like to hear your comments on is how a person could make an intentional effort to develop a "securities strategy" that would be least affected by the set of Laws of which you speak.

If there are mathematical Laws of risk/reward, are they general laws or are they laws that are unvarying for subsets of the market and its operations?

see if you can give it a shot on these items.

TIA.

#43     Aug 21, 2006
  4. buy 50000 dollar lottery tickets.

#44     Aug 21, 2006
  5. whew, that roughly still about a 20,000 to 1 shot. I think buying some otm options would be better odds than that.

#45     Aug 21, 2006
  6. You can buy a pound of good marijuana in Vancouver, BC for, say, $1500 bulk wholesale. Figure a way to smuggle it to LA, Vegas or Phoenix where let's say it goes for $4000 a pound wholesale. If you double your money each time, don't get nabbed or offed you will only need to make 5 trips and have room to spare. Now that's excitement!

If you get busted you still get free meals in the pen.

#46     Aug 21, 2006
  7. Piece of cake...Take that $50K and sign off on a life insurance policy for $1M. Wait 3 months then plug yourself. Wait until the wife receives the settlement check, then reincarnate yourself and go off to live the life you always dreamed.

If unsuccessful, hold yourself for ransom. Tell the media that if you do not receive a $1M payoff, you will off yourself. If they balk at the idea, go ahead and plug yourself to show them you mean business.

#47     Aug 21, 2006
  8. Buy it for yourself on your wife's life and plug her about 3 weeks later.

John

#48     Aug 21, 2006
  9. I thought about that. But then we still have the issue of a poster asking how to make $1M in 3 months out of $50K. My scenario would be a win-win situation for everyone. :eek:

#49     Aug 21, 2006
  10. Tums

Tums

Zanger puts his money where his mouth is. He holds the unofficial record in trading stocks by turning $11,000 into more than $18 million in 18 months in 1999-2000. He grew that to an incredible $42 million in less than two years and has the tax receipts to prove it.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/trading/04/082504.asp

p.s. mind you, that was the dot com era. The opportunities then will probably not repeated in the next 18 months.

#50     Aug 22, 2006