09/30/03

Discussion in 'Trading' started by funky, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Ditch

Ditch

Is IB your broker?

#11     Sep 30, 2003
  2. funky

funky

no i have SPY, MSFT, and QQQ up on the screen....rarely watch anything else.....

i will be trading ES when my size gets bigger....started with SPY b/c it allowed me to scale into my trading :)

#12     Sep 30, 2003
  3. Yes. Why?

-FastTrader

#13     Sep 30, 2003
  4. Ditch

Ditch

Why don't you use a front-end with a chase-function, that way you will hardly ever miss an entry.

#14     Sep 30, 2003
  5. "Chase" function? Does this automatically lower the price by X number of ticks if you don't get a fill immediately? Can you point me to a front-end that would accomplish this?

Also, the price did run up to my Limit, but I guess I was last in line so didn't get a fill.

-FastTrader

#15     Sep 30, 2003
  6. Ditch

Ditch

Yes, i have it set to 1 tick, always get filled, most common front-ends will do fine: bracket-trader, ninjatrader, etc.. there are several threads on this topic.

#16     Sep 30, 2003
  7. funky

funky

omg, you don't have a chase on? are you kidding? you're kidding right? ok, do me a favor at this moment. stop what you are doing and go to www.ninjatrader.com and download that baby. you'll be up and running in a few minutes. flip the 'chase' button on and set it to a few ticks. that way, your system/strategy never gets fucked up again. dude, you have to have control over how your system/strategy works.

if it says that you need to be short here, then your software better be able to do it. could have been the difference between your morning and mine. :)

#17     Sep 30, 2003
  8. ...another stupid question. If limit order fills are so elusive, why aren't you using market orders? My backtesting of a successful market order strategy suggests that the benefits of the identical limit order strategy go away if you have to chase entries and exits. BTW, since you are a po' boy like me, think about trading NQ. Yield per dollar invested is higher than that of ES, intraday margin is $1125, and you can comfortably (IMO) trade intraday with $2500-3000 per contract. Best regards. - Mike

#18     Sep 30, 2003
  9. Thanks for the info. I will check it out tonight.

-FastTrader

#19     Sep 30, 2003
  10. funky

funky

i am using limit orders b/c of two things. primarily, i still want to limit the 'range' of my entry. i like to enter very close to a pivot, because my stop is behind that. a limit order also needs no conversion (from a market order)...it goes straight to the market for execution.

NQ sounds interesting. yeah, i'm sure i'll end up trading them all anyways...that and the australian, tokyo, hong kong, and south korean markets. ;) europe gets up to early for me ;) i'm in SF.

#20     Sep 30, 2003