Gaining Muscle and Losing Fat (2015)

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Baron, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stop with this "old guy" nonsense. I'm 57 and plan on being "middle aged" well into my 70s, if not longer. :D

#621     Apr 7, 2016
    CaptainObvious likes this.
  2. wjk

wjk

I was at the gym today with a friend who is 70. He hammers out 45lb dumbbell preacher curls with no problem. He doesn't look his age. I've read that muscle mass can be gained into one's 90's.

Further regarding age: I worry about tendon injuries far more than muscle injuries, and train accordingly. I'll be 57 in a few weeks.

Saw this article yesterday.

"Intensive Exercise Keeps Aging Muscles Young"

http://www.newsmax.com/Health/Health-News/intensive-exercise-aging-muscles/2016/04/06/id/722587/

#622     Apr 7, 2016
    Frederick Foresight likes this.
  3. Second that big time. I keep a tray in the freezer at all times (paper cups filled with water and then frozen), great for an ice down when tendinitis starts acting up. Usually in the elbows, both inner and outer.
    I've completely transformed my workout over the years to avoid certain exercises that always had my tendons screaming.

#623     Apr 7, 2016
  4. There's nothing wrong about getting fit. Actually, I have read that if you are aiming in gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time, it is advisable that you have to eat 100 calories per day and if you want to lose fat, you have to eat 400 calories less per day. You should also have a goal to workout.

#624     Apr 7, 2016
  5. achilles28

achilles28

Ten minutes rolling out the lower back and glutes does a great job for lower back pain.

For guys who deadlift and squat allot, try the foam roller for that tight lower back. Better then a chiropractor

#625     Apr 8, 2016
  6. Regarding injuries, I don't think I've ever had a muscle injury, and I'd probably remember if I did. Joints, on the other hand, are a different matter. And the only time I've ever experienced joint issues was when I lacked proper form and/or used momentum when going heavy, both of which should be relegated to the foolishness of youth even though I had made such errors well past my youth. Because I now (finally) use proper form and cadence, I no longer have any joint pain during any exercise, and have only residual shoulder issues from my impetuous past. Although you "worry" about it, I assume you don't experience any joint pain while working out or afterwards. My thinking is that, apart from residual pain from a past injury, if a person has joint pain during or after an exercise, then he's either doing the wrong exercise or doing the right exercise improperly.

As an aside, regarding your 70-year-old friend who hammers out dumbbell preacher curls, just a quick observation if I may. I don't understand the fascination with any isolation exercises, particularly for biceps. The bicep is probably the smallest muscle group that people spend an inordinate amount of time on. When I'm at the gym, this seems to be the muscle group that most people concentrate on, with variations of curls of one type or another. I don't see why people don't just focus on bang-for-the-buck compounds, which also provide a better metabolic effect, especially as we get older and have more limited resources to employ (i.e., recovery). Back exercises work the biceps plenty, so why paint with a pencil brush when you can use a roller? People can't really change the shape of the muscle, as I think that's genetically determined. As for strength and size, well-performed back exercises also leave your biceps spent, along with your back and rear delts. Thanks for letting me rant. :D

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    #626     Apr 8, 2016
  7. Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    #627     Apr 8, 2016
    wjk and CaptainObvious like this.
  8. wjk

wjk

LOL! Nicely worded, Fred!:thumbsup: I've been trying to outrun my bad diet since the birth of this thread (and far beyond), but it keeps catching up with me!!:wtf:

#628     Apr 8, 2016
  9. I Know You

I Know You

@Baron I have no time for gym or ambition, could you possibly advise on a 30min workout perhaps using dumbells and floor. Thanks!

#629     Apr 8, 2016
  10. Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    #630     Apr 13, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.