Gaining Muscle and Losing Fat (2015)

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Baron, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Could it be that you're doing too many exercises when you do them in this manner?

#141     Jul 28, 2015
  2. wjk

wjk

Both would be good methods. The later of the two you mentioned reminds me of a technique I read about in Muscle Mag. To increase volume at the heaviest achievable (or desirable) weight, a body builder would do two or three reps, pause 4 or 5 seconds, two or three reps, pause...etc. Rather than doing 2 or 3 sets of 6 in two minutes with longer breaks between, he would actually push more weight in the same amount of time using the pause method. He's not quite going to failure each time. I'm not sure that's what you mean, but it's something else to add to the list of different approaches, if for no other reason, to change things up.

Holding the tension is also good (as long as you don't lock out on applicable moves). But that might cause you to want to do those slow positives and negatives...especially the negative.:)

Regardless, good luck if you try the compound method in the books you listed. It's actually pretty amazing how many different ways there is to train, and I believe that many of the different methods result in similar results. I was always taught that the compounds were the primary for building size and strength. I personally believe compound lifts MUST be the heart of any training program regarding strength. I do at least one compound for whichever group I'm working. Isolated lifting brings in more definition, or so I've been taught.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    #142     Jul 28, 2015
  3. wjk

wjk

How long would a single rep take at your max lift weight?

#143     Jul 28, 2015
  4. Baron

Baron ET Founder

2 minutes. 60 seconds up and 60 seconds down.

#144     Jul 28, 2015
  5. wjk

wjk

Damn! That's hard core, man!:eek:

#145     Jul 28, 2015
  6. Got a question for you guys. Have you ever hit the wall, similar to long distance running, but at the gym during your workout? Happened to me today. Was a very similar feeling to what I felt a few years ago while out for my run. Had 8 miles under my belt, felt strong. No fatigue at all and in the matter of 10 feet I just crashed and burned. Complete stop. Not something like, hey, I can push through this. Just a, you are done and you're done right f'n now. Nothing left in the tank. Like going from full to empty, instantly.
    Felt almost the same thing today at the gym about 50 minutes in to my workout, which is kind of a no b.s. non stop type workout. Felt great and then suddenly just done. Got home and felt like crap for a couple hours. Not a dehydration issue. Was working out on an empty stomach which is new for me, but I don't really think that was it. Almost like a potassium crash, but not as serious. Just wondering if any of you have ever run into that? BTW, feel great now. Also I have no heath issues. BP is great. No diabetes. No nothing.

#146     Jul 28, 2015
  7. jem

jem

I recently lost about 20 pounds and about 15 of them in the last 3 weeks. I increased activity and dropped 5-6 pounds via fairly vigorous hour long hikes. (I tried to keep up with my wife's pace who is currently training for a half marathon.) After losing those 5 to 6 pounds quickly, I plateaued for about month even though my fitness made big improvements from a pretty low level for me. ( I probably swapped some fat for muscle but the scales were not changing and I was getting concerned that I was stuck being out of shape.)

Then I went out for a 4 hour hike up to the top of Mount Woodson in San Diego. That seemed to reset everything... I have dropped weight like crazy and now I find it easy to stick to my significantly reduced carb and sugar intake diet.

This change in diet seems much easier than the way i did Atkins. So far I am mostly impressed with my lack of hunger, and I am not currently craving anything. (iced tea does help.)

I am pretty sure my last 15 years of being out of shape even though I exercised almost everyday was carbs, breads and particularly sodas spiking my insulin and making me more hungry for crap.

In short I believe there are lots of ways to get lean, I once did it through exercise only. However, if you don't wish to run 5 to 10 miles a day or the equivalent, cut back radically on carbs and particularly breads and sodas. Just like everyone on the internet says.

And if you are not getting anywhere... go for well paced 4 hour hike up a mountain to get your metabolism reset. (I know it could have been a coincidence... but I suspect it was a real trigger... I "felt" the change.) At the moment I seriously think I get lose some more weight get lean and stay there... but we shall see. The only downside for me so far is I had to cut way back on the golf because of the hiking.

#147     Jul 28, 2015
  8. Yes, I suppose I can mix and match between the hold at the end of a set and the extended set. But I don't like the idea of going beyond a single extension. (Otherwise, where does it end?) And if I'm doing a set of any kind, I'm going to failure using good form. As for the exercises, I'm probably locked on the few that I do and I think it will be some time before I consider adding to or subtracting from it. I'm very comfortable with my conclusion that they are the best bang for my buck. My principal preoccupation recently has been the sets per exercise/muscle group and workout frequency per week variables, and I think (hope) I see the end of that tunnel. Aside from that, it's how to finish off each set as noted in the beginning of this post.

It's hard to believe I'm still trying to finesse this stuff after all these years, but I guess, as with most things we find meaningful, it's more about the journey than the destination. And so, I'm hoping that the book will offer some meaningful guidance, seeing as how well it is has been received. Besides, I like reading about this stuff.:)

#148     Jul 28, 2015
  9. I don't think I could ever bring myself to do that.

#149     Jul 28, 2015
  10. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Happens to me on occasion but it usually happens at around 35 minutes. My workout today was about 17 minutes and it kicked my ass, mainly because I was doing one set per exercise with no rest between the 10 exercises.

#150     Jul 28, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.