110 year old Jerseyman's advice for life

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pekelo, Apr 22, 2024.

1. Pekelo

Pekelo

He lives alone. He still drives. He never exercised crazy. He didn't watch his diet. He likes to be active and hanging out with his firemen bodies.

https://www.today.com/health/men-s-health/110-year-old-man-drives-car-rcna148538

He delivered milk for five years and drank as much of it as he wanted, which he attributes to giving him a healthy boost — especially during the Great Depression in the 1930s.

“I was drinking milk and eating well because I worked on a farm. And I often go back and think they gave me a good start in life and for my bones in my body,” Dransfield says.

Milk still plays a role in his life: The supercentenarian credits drinking Ovaltine — a milk flavoring and nutrition supplement — every day after breakfast for his longevity.

Dransfield didn’t lift weights or exercise in a gym, but he kept moving throughout his life.

“I was 21 years old when I joined the fire department and that’s the exercise I got every day — answered the fire alarms in Little Falls,” he says.

“I was active and ran out when the alarm went off for 40 years. Then for the next 40 years, (I continued) when I felt like it.”

Structured exercise amuses him. “He laughs at people who jog. He’s like, ‘Where are they running to?’” his granddaughter says.

The supercentenarian likes Italian food, hamburgers, salad, milk chocolate and other sweets. He drinks a cup of coffee every day and occasionally drinks beer, but doesn’t enjoy other forms of alcohol.

He didn't exactly follow a Blue Zones diet.

“What’s crazy is he was not careful about his diet,” Lista says.

“He has eaten whatever he wants. He has never watched his weight. He’s never had to lose weight. He’s always been fit.”

Dransfield started smoking when he was 50 after a fellow firefighter offered him a cigarette and he liked it. But about 20 years later, he quit.

“He told me one day that he was going to just stop smoking,” Lista recalls. “He threw the cigarettes out and that was it. He just never smoked again.”

Dransfield considers himself an optimist. He also has a great sense of humor and likes knowing everybody’s name in town, his granddaughter says.

"Knowing people and loving people makes me live longer," Dransfield says.

“He always had such a positive upbeat attitude, even when my grandmother passed away. He lived for her, but he was determined to keep on living,” Lista adds.

Frederick Foresight likes this.
  2. Great story. Superior genetics, too.