Will a Technical Pattern ever stop working/appearing?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by iamnewuser911, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Speculate

Speculate

Is that a fact huh?

#21     Aug 25, 2015
  2. Speculate

Speculate

Love the way you twist words and read what you want to thats already been determined by your belief system.

I think your P&L will do much better if you adopt a more objective standpoint. Get rid of your bias and free yourself. When the market moves against you as I imagine it usually does, dont sit there hoping it will come back. Better take a small loss than sit there like the sock puppet you are and wait for your 'stop' to be hit. I imagine you like to place stops just a few ticks beyond support. Right?

Good luck. :)

#22     Aug 25, 2015
  3. Speculate

Speculate

Is that so?

Ive always thought of money management as errr managing money - little to do with risk management. what market has the best likely ROM? Should I keep my account in USD, CHF, GBP etc (assuming your FCM will allow you to keep different currencies and put one currency up as margin in another. You need to be with GCM's I think but not 100% on that).

Shrewd MMgt can add extra oomph to results over time.

I was tought this early on given you dont get interest on your margin unless you deposit bonds i believe (i dont - but should investigate).

#23     Aug 25, 2015
  4. kut2k2

kut2k2

Yes, that is so.

We're not talking about money mgt (MM) in finance, we're talking about MM in the context of trading. The phrase comes from the world of professional gambling (specifically, blackjack card counting), where the phrase "money management" absolutely and unambiguously means bet sizing.

Feel free to focus on Risk Management if the way I used MM gives you the heebie jeebies. But try to not have a cow if you see the way I used "money management" also used by others elsewhere. Unlike you, it isn't new to this community.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    #24     Aug 25, 2015
  5. Redneck

Redneck

OP.., I revamped your question for accuracy;

Will the patterns..., created from trader's buying and selling..., since the beginning of the mkt's inception (time)...., suddenly stop working or stop appearing

A= Never

RN

#25     Aug 25, 2015
    NoDoji likes this.
  6. Pigsky

Pigsky

Some patterns will always be there. But over time there may be greater variability to them than initially meets the eye. Also there may be conditions where a pattern works well but all other conditions it is random outcome.

There is a chartist I keep up with from time to time. Back in 2012 and 2013 he made a lot of money shorting precious metals stocks. Account up over 300% in 18 months. People were calling him a wizard and singing the praises of his charting. He started premium section to sell subscriptions. In 2014 and early 15 he kept using the same chart patterns as before but lost everything he made and went below breakeven. I haven't check lately to see if he made any money on the recent gold sell-off, so he might have made some of it back.

My opinion from reading his free content is that he hadn't done any in-depth research on his patterns, or of different market conditions, and was simply trading the trendlines and oscillators as if they were absolute levels. Back when it was a relentless trend downward he was rewarded. When it switched to wide sideways range he got chopped up.

Dr Steenbarger has talked of this before, and again recently when he described how his mean reversion strats were failing so he had to switch gears to other strategies. So not as simple as find a pattern and kick back and watch the ATM machine spit out money. :(

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    #26     Aug 25, 2015
  7. EPrado

EPrado

Ok Marketsurfer. Good luck with your paper trading. You are so obvious. And so sad.

#27     Aug 25, 2015
    dartmus likes this.

8. Prado,whats wrong with you?

stop making these unfounded allegations or put your money where your mouth is.

I challenge you to a $500 bet payable immediately ( no 6 month lag time allowed this time) that i am not Speculate and have no other aliases.

Don't wimp out since you are so certain.

Take the bet or STFU with the claims. Seriously, why do you keep trying to discredit the marketsurfer character. I don't get it.

Baron will mediate the bet and prove i have no other aliases.

surf

#28     Aug 25, 2015
  9. Thanks for the discussion everyone.

Very interesting insight from everyone.

Thank you.

In conclusion, never share your strategy!!

#29     Aug 25, 2015
  10. EPrado

EPrado

You know Surf. I have tried to be civil/cool with you. But you are childish. Really man. You are the guy who has admitted to using aliases...been thrown outta here before....involved in crazy disputes with others on here that almost ended in lawsuits. You are a disease to this place. Baron is really a nice guy for not throwing you outta here for good.

I have zero interest in making a bet about this. You know there are many ways to mess with IP addresses or use others computers to log on. You've done it before. Funny how you "liked" speculate's posts right away but it took you hours to address my claim. Funny how this person created a login 10 days ago but mentions things that only people who have been around for a while would know.

The wimp comment is priceless. You could have very easily asked me anytime on here or emailed me. So enough of this 6 month lag bs. Why do I discredit someone I feel spews bs and pollutes this place ? Because it could be a great place for real traders to talk and shoot the shit. You bring very little value to this place outside of causing commotion and drawing the ire of 95% of the people who post to you on here. You admitted you are here to bring in traffic. You are a pair of clown shoes Surf. Hopefully the hurricane approaching us hits and washes all the bullshit of of you.

#30     Aug 25, 2015
    dartmus likes this.