Why good platforms ignore mac?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by val1, Apr 11, 2014.

1. just21

just21

2. Mark2m

Mark2m

I know little of Apple products, but I don't know of anyone that trades with one screen. Personally, I have 4 screens dedicated to one computer, can the same be done reasonably with a Mac?

#32     May 9, 2014
  3. +1 from a programmer with 15 yr professional programming experience.

Mac is a close system by design where Windows is an open system. And windows is no longer just a GUI on top of DOS.

#33     May 9, 2014
  4. Xena

Xena

I believe the fan makes a lot more noise. Lenovo has a small version that is OK but I do not like the ventilation design. Our little Mac Mini are sitting on motorbike air-intake ventilation foam which keeps a lot of dirt out.

However we're actively keeping our eye for some other options, not married to a specific brand or product as long as it meets the requirements.

Not happy about still having old technology plus internally the Mac mini's are fragile - you have to be very carefull not to dislodge some of the connector sockets which then requires a new logic board. Neither happy about the temperatures these machines can reach when running large CPU loads for extended times.

We're using a single 27" and 29"screen on each Mac mini but each can drive two screens. Why I would need more than one screen?

#34     May 10, 2014
  5. Xena

Xena

#35     May 10, 2014
  6. Xena

Xena

Still searching for an alternative although at this stage starting to consider going back to a laptop and hooking up an external monitor. A laptop on its own is not going to comply with our requirements - screen size is just too small. Fan noise in a laptop is another issue.

We moved to the Mac mini from top of the range IBM Thinkpads when the laptop was four - five times the price of the Mac mini however prices of laptops have come down considerably and no longer needing the fastest laptop gets an very respectable laptop in a comparable price range.

#36     May 10, 2014
  7. apdxyk

apdxyk

What "believe" in your sentence above is based upon? There are quite a few reviews out there with the noise numbers in dB. I have 2 NUCs in front of me. Cannot hear them. 2nd and 4th generation. Dell Precision M4700 laptop is the loudest in my office, it may be the culprit . Oh, the Quiet PC folks also endorsed Intel NUC. And one can install MacOS on it and claim it runs faster than on an Apple hardware piece.

#37     May 10, 2014
  8. just21

just21

You can get fanless cases for Intel NUC.

#38     May 11, 2014
  9. Xena

Xena

Thanks for the feedbacks on the NUC. Information that I found 6 months ago was that the NUC had an audible hum at approx 32 dB at idle whereas the Mac mini is around 15 dB @ 1 meter.

I would be interested in fanless since with a fan always dust accumulates inside. Any recommendations for a fanless design will be greatly appreciated since I have enough of Apple.

#39     May 11, 2014
  10. bawr

bawr

pepper_john,

What is your definition of an open system?

#40     May 11, 2014