Why does anyone take technical analysis seriously?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Sotnis, Sep 30, 2015.

1. speedo

speedo

TA works because it shows human behavior which does not change. Those of us who use it to make a living trading (not selling stuff) have little incentive to defend it.....believe what you will.

#11     Sep 30, 2015
    GotherL, dartmus and Redneck like this.
  2. It's called MARKETING. Everyone from Goldman Sachs to Tim Sykes uses TA as marketing. No one really uses it to trade succesfully.

Wake up!!

#12     Sep 30, 2015
  3. qxr1011

qxr1011

"works"

Sicilian defense works, and Alekhine defence, and so does Nimzowitsch Defence ... everything works in chess as in trading...but not for everyone... :)

"debate"?

show me what is not debated in this life?

"results would speak for themselves"

they speak into pockets of capable people...

#13     Sep 30, 2015
    KaizenTrader and dartmus like this.

4. Where are these people?? I have yet to see or hear about anyone being succesful with TA except those who market it. Real names and real evidence.

Are u a TA marketer?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    #14     Sep 30, 2015
  5. nursebee

nursebee

noscite hostem

#15     Sep 30, 2015
  6. qxr1011

qxr1011

have u seen platypus? no? yes? i did not see it in my whole life.. but it there..got my point?

i do not like when people switching discussion from discussing the topic to discussing their opponent, i put people like that in ignore

#16     Sep 30, 2015
    dartmus likes this.
  7. I propose that it is so because a HUGE industry depends upon a pool of gullible saps paying commissions and worst paying for software and services and newsletters and instructions.

Scamers and con artists, charlatans, snake oil salesmen, many present here (and infuriated by this post), depend on one little trait of human nature... When people want something bad enough, they will believe anything, as long as the desired result is promised.

#17     Sep 30, 2015
  8. kut2k2

kut2k2

Chemistry became a science when certain alchemists decided to throw away the parts of alchemy that didn't make sense and to include only new knowledge that made sense.

Technical analysis is not a science because it never throws anything away. It's become a form of information hoarding. With TA, you get The Good, The Bad AND The Ugly.

The Good TA is called EBTA: evidence-based technical analysis. The name was coined by David Aronson who wrote a book with the same title. In his book, Aronson showed how to determine which TA is EBTA but he was unable (or unwilling) to establish the actual existence of any EBTA. So the controversy of whether any Good TA exists continues, because the Good TA is all (or almost all) proprietary. Those familiar with Good TA for the most part aren't talking about it. They certainly aren't passing it along to every wannabe trader on the internet who comes begging for something that works. Why would they?

#18     Sep 30, 2015
    dartmus likes this.
  9. NoDoji

NoDoji

I don't take it seriously at all; I have a lot of fun with it :D

#19     Sep 30, 2015
    lawrence-lugar and dartmus like this.
  10. I was at starbucks this morning. There was a conference table full of excited MLM'rs ready to set the world on fire selling some coffee product--- it was sad their zeal since it was obviously a scam--- just like these poor souls who cling to TA despite overwhelmingly negative evidence. Some even believe the claims of the anonymous posters-- who are afraid to even reveal their real names---

#20     Sep 30, 2015
    NoVoodooHere likes this.