Why do I see "Trends" in Randomly Generated Data?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by Rahula, Feb 21, 2008.

1. achilles28

achilles28

That's not trading. That's something akin to martingale-ing. And the operator needs a huge account for that to yield an acceptable return. 200 trades is a long time to wait before recouping losses. Returns are minimal. What? 30-50% a year? If that?

#671     Jun 1, 2011
  2. 30 to 50 % would solve the problem of the 95 % club , and place most along the super traders category.

You forget most of what we call trading is gambling and martingal-ing is part of it.

Probably get around 30 to 50 % a year.

#672     Jun 1, 2011
  3. neke

neke

What is it again that you trade that ALWAYS reverts to the mean? Enron? Worldcom?

#673     Jun 1, 2011
  4. I only trade solid stuff like currencies , crude ,indexes , gold and silver.

#674     Jun 1, 2011
  5. achilles28

achilles28

I could out trade your ass any day of the week, son.

And I guess to a gambler like you, economics threads seem like entertainment.

And no, the 95-99% speculation figures are dead on. Check the futures against physical delivery and outstanding contracts. It's the same for every market. Forex, daily international trade + capital flow values against notional volume traded. Same shit . This is why you haven''t learned to trade. Because you have no idea what moves the market. You chalk it up to randomness because you're clueless than parade yourself around here like you're some authority on the subject. Not that it matters. There's a new batch of guys just like you that come through the gates every month that think they know what they're talking about then proceed to lecture everybody else on what they think they know. Blind leading the blind.

#675     Jun 1, 2011
  6. achilles28

achilles28

To you it's gambling. Not to real traders. If your edge is martingaling, you're not a trader. You're an educated gambler. Traders make consistent money because the market moves in a consistent fashion at consistent inflection points.

If you're such a pro, what are your returns like for the past 10 years? Or however long you've been profitable? I'm sure all the rookies around here are entitled to that. Gotta prove your credibility if u wanna lecture them up and down on what's possible and what's not.

#676     Jun 1, 2011
  7. The only reason to read you posts is for entertainment from the forum clown.I never said markets are random , but there are periods of randomness where people believe there are trends.Currencies trends are driven by fundamentals and interest rates , but this is only visible on longer time frame.On the small time frame like 1 minute , there are a lot of random trends.

Tomorrow you will come out with 90 % , but where is the evidence to back up your statements.

#677     Jun 1, 2011
  8. achilles28

achilles28

LOL The only clown I see is you. Parading yourself around as some guru lecturing everyone about martingaling. Look at your name for fucks sake "fxoilpro". You're a gambler. Not much more. And where are you returns ? The ones that prove you're a big hot shot pro? As far as speculative participation, those stats are a matter of public record. Look them up if you don't believe me. Then come back here and apologize. And maybe I'll forgive you.

#678     Jun 1, 2011
  9. the1

the1

All trading systems have their weaknesses, including mean reversion systems. It can get quite painful when the mean reverts to the price instead of vice versa :p

You can't trade a mean reversion system unless you are measuring volatility. That's one of the biggest mistakes traders make. You HAVE to know the level of volatility in the market or you're doomed. You also have to know whether the market is non-stationary or trend-stationary or you're doomed.

The market is random -- period. To succeed in trading you have to use tools that analyze randomness. Remember folks, you are competing against traders who have PhD's or MS's in applied mathematics (i.e. advanced statistics) and computer science. If you're just drawing with your crayons you don't stand a chance.

#679     Jun 1, 2011
  10. The systems I trade for 50 /50 are volatility breakout systems.The systems ratio of number of profits to losses always reverts to 50/50, they can have a drawdown period of 30 to 50 more losses than profits over several hundred trades.Only use these on majors.

#680     Jun 1, 2011