Who trades on satellite? Is the lag too bad?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wilburbear, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Of course you can. Have you tried? And no, I don't mean over DirecTV, either. I am a seaman, or was one until I retired a couple weeks ago, and my internet and phone were via satellite, generally InMarSat, sometimes Iridium, ever since it became available. You have between 3/4 second and a second of lag, typically. Most of that is just the time it takes for the signal to hit the satellite, retransmit, and be received by the Earth station. I have seen orders take quite a bit longer than that to fill, over cable or phone. I don't know about and won't vouch for Hughes, Direct, or others though. If you are charting 5 minute bars or longer you should not notice significant issues. An always-on broadband connection via InMarSat or Iridium will not be cheap, though. You need to be making some serious coin to afford it. There are other service providers besides these two, I am just not well acquainted with them.

Have no experience live trading via satellite as I just started trading live since my last ship, but I did paper trade aboard ship and the only hassles where the ship's gear sometimes losing tracking on the satellite or the modem overloaded with orphaned connections and need to be reset. After seeing that, of course I would not have wanted to live trade anyway, while at sea. When it worked, it worked just fine. When it didn't work I was glad to not have any money on the table. This issue with the antenna failing to track the satellite would not be an issue with a fixed station. Your cabin doesn't move. And you would be your only user. You would pretty much never need to do a system reset, I am thinking.

How far to nearest cell tower, and do you have line of sight or nearly line of sight elevation? You could try Tmobile. I have always found Tmo to not only have better rates but also better service except in those rare areas where Tmo has no coverage. Note that sometimes the "fastest" service is not the fastest, during periods of heavy traffic. 3G is sometimes faster than 4G. 2G is sometimes faster than 3G. Depending on network load. If you mean AT&T cable, though, I can't imagine ordinary "slow" cable preventing you from trading. High speed low timeframe scalping, maybe, yeah, that might suck. And you would not want to engage in that sort of trading via satellite either, actually.

#21     Jul 23, 2019