When is the right time to quit your job and trade full time?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by jinxu, May 27, 2015.

1. volente_00

volente_00

Need more info if you want my opinion

What is your starting capital?
    What is your monthly nut for all living expenses ?
    What is you historic return over the last 5 years ?

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    #61     May 29, 2015
  2. loyek590

loyek590

if you have to ask, you're not ready for full time trading. Most of us were forced into it because we couldn't make money doing anything else.

#62     May 30, 2015
    iofdatiger likes this.
  3. loyek590

loyek590

don't confuse trading with investing. 20%/year would be fantastic for an investor with a job or retired with a pension, but not much for the guy who puts his life savings and works 24/7 full time into his hardware store or restaurant.

#63     May 30, 2015
    IAS_LLC likes this.
  4. loyek590

loyek590

no kidding, during the good years you sock a little away in boring conservative investments and asset allocations, and your trading account becomes less and less of your total net worth, knowing full well that if you keep doing what you are doing you will eventually hit your risk of ruin if you live long enough.

#64     May 30, 2015
  5. loyek590

loyek590

during the glory days of the 1990's, a lot of baby boomers were making more in their 401k and personal brokerage account than they were working their real job.

and that's where this idea of "prop firms", "day traders" came from.

Think of the poor man who quit his job to buy a farm when the weather was good. Now the weather is very adverse and only the strong and diversified can survive.

You gotta love trading. It has to be your favorite thing to do. If you are doing it "for the money" you will be sadly mistaken. Do you love it enough to sell a house or a car to support your trading habit?

very fine line between trading and gambling. Most here on ET think they are not gambling because they have a secret "backtested method" with "positive expectency" which allows them to peer into the future and guess what the market will do.

all the money is made on positive unexcpectency

Last edited: May 30, 2015
    #65     May 30, 2015
    marketsurfer likes this.
  6. loyek590

loyek590

so, do you really want to give up your nice secure job with benefits to become a gambler?

#66     May 30, 2015
  7. loyek590

loyek590

I did, I couldn't wait. Took me nine years working a real job after I blew up to put together another trading account. And when my real job blew up I knew exactly what I was going to do.

If you have to ask, you are not ready

#67     May 30, 2015
  8. Fundlord

Fundlord

As someone who took a small amount of money and multiplied it several times left a college course I hated to make it as a trader, I have an opinion on this.

The following only applies if you have proven yourself as a good trader not some one hit wonder making 240k.

Nobody ever made it big in this world not taking a risk/playing it safe.

Whether that means leaving a job, college degree, friends, family or hometown behind.

Life isn't some dress rehearsal you might as-well take a swing at it if you really want it, your either gonna make it as a trader or you won't.

I agree the odds are stacked against you but do you really care ? I mean the odds of making it in the NBA/NFL/Hollywood/Entrepreneurship are slim as hell but people try and some do make it.

Felix Dennis (media mogul was worth short of a billion) wrote in his book that you will never make it big in business while having a job. You will be seduced by the safety of a recurring paycheck and your life will pass you by. You will never make that breakthrough until you cut the shackles off and have your back against the wall.

"He Is Willing To Stake His Future On A Single Turn Of A Wheel He Is Sure To Win" - Napoleon Hill

#68     May 30, 2015
    profitlocker and iofdatiger like this.
  9. luisHK

luisHK

Talk for yourself...

#69     May 30, 2015
  10. luisHK

luisHK

Gotta love trading, be your favourite thing to do ? Yeah ??
    You just gotta be profitable, it can be quite a lucrative activity but it's easy to figure out dozens of more interesting ways to spend one's time.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
    #70     May 30, 2015