When Indicators Don't Lag

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by BOC, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

They work more than 50% of the time, but one doesn't need 50% winners to be very successful. Indicators are very reliable in entries and exits. Most traders just don't know how to manage trades.

#31     Mar 28, 2015
    romik likes this.
  2. romik

romik

Pattern trading can be compared to witchcraft, by not believing in it through personal inability doesn't constitute its inexistence.

#32     Mar 28, 2015
    Buy1Sell2 likes this.
  3. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

When somebody shows me a thoroughly-tested and consistently-profitable trading plan that is based on either indicators or patterns or both, then I'll have something to investigate. Until then, it's just theory. And isn't particularly helpful. Belief is not pertinent.

#33     Mar 28, 2015
  4. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

No need to ever change the standard settings on indicators. They are set that way for a reason. Just learn to trade with them that way.

#34     Mar 28, 2015
  5. SunTrader

SunTrader

They didn't say change the settings. They said change the lookback / timeframe.

#35     Mar 28, 2015
  6. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Disregard volume in analysis of direction. It's not an important consideration.

#36     Mar 28, 2015
  7. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

That's a setting.

#37     Mar 28, 2015
  8. romik

romik

I am going to go out on a limb and say that no matter whether it's an indicator or price or order flow, etc. patterns dictate sentiment, the larger the time frame, the bigger the outcome. Only policy interventions or absence of players (liquidity) will negate patterns reinforce positive or negative sentiment. I think we will agree that nobody in their right mind likes to lose money or turn down opportunity to profit, patterns confirm sentiment in a high liquidity free market. That is my belief based on personal experience.

#38     Mar 28, 2015
  9. SunTrader

SunTrader

Of the chart. Has nothing to do with the indicator. Dumbazz.

#39     Mar 28, 2015
  10. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Lookback timeframe is a setting on an indicator. 14 periods on RSI etc.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    #40     Mar 28, 2015