What should I do to become a professional trader?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Mikkel, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Al-Pha

Al-Pha

Hi Guys,
    This is my first post. As a new starter willing to change career, I’ll need your help and your advices. So thank you in advance for that.
    I am a 28 yo French guy. I’m a Civil/Structural Engineer with 4 years experience in Design. As a structural engineer I have to analyse structures using Finite Element software under static/dynamic actions and spreadsheets for post-processing.
    As Gordon Gekko said “What’s worth doing is worth doing for money”. I’m young, poor and hungry and being a Trader is my goal. I have always been interested in Finance. Prop Trading is my first option even if I know this sector has changed a lot after the last financial crisis.
    The first thing I did was to leave Paris for London which is the place to be in Europe if you really aim to work in Finance.
    First of all, do you think it’s too late for me at 28 yo and 4 years experience in civil engineering to become a Trader? What is the best route for me to be a Citi Trader? Do I need to go back to university and achieve any particular degree?
    In the meantime, I still looking for the right contact, the perfect one I need. Do you have any recommendation regarding the place I should go for networking? Day, hours?
    Finally, what is the best way to approach a successful Trader?
    Many thanks again for taking your time to read my post.
    Cheers.

#31     Dec 3, 2014
  2. Best place to hang out : Canary Wharf on friday evening.
    Good luck.

#32     Dec 4, 2014
  3. you don't really need to go back to school to get into institutional trading. What you need is an internship. For that you usually need an "in". Degrees and schools are basically just that.

#33     Dec 4, 2014
  4. Al-Pha

Al-Pha

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate. Do you have any contact at the City?

#34     Dec 4, 2014
  5. Al-Pha

Al-Pha

Thanks for letting me know. Can you tell me more about some pub/club/lounge in particular?

#35     Dec 4, 2014