What risk management mistakes did Victor Niederhoffer make to blow up a few times?

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by helpme_please, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Great post, Rabid... Thanks!

#71     Aug 17, 2015
    RabidTrader likes this.

2. Not at all-- VN has a dozen plus world class money managers WHO HAVE NOT BLOWN UP--- who credit him with their success in the markets. That's all i need to know that he is the right guy to have for a mentor.

the facts speak for themselves despite his personal demons-- the guy knows his stuff better than any other living speculator.

surf

#72     Aug 17, 2015
    RabidTrader likes this.

3. Funny you mentioned CMG, every day I churn it and enjoy it like I love their food after another incredible blowout earnings($850 by year end with AZO?) To topic, your right and I can't dispute the fact there are limits we all have and if given enough rope we will hang ourselves unless we can control risk and keep our accounts with ample cash during draw-downs and they always come, one of the hedge funds I know decided to dump several clients because they kept calling him relentlessly and followed him or conveniently ran in to him at fancy dining places and soon the topic of which stocks to buy was followed by him running the hell out of there with his girl!

#73     Aug 17, 2015
  4. Great post, thank you. VN read some material I wrote on here back in 2002-- invited me up to his house to chat about markets and into his think tank type group--- we have been friends ever since- and incredible positive things have occured to me thanks to this relationship------ he is one impressive character and has my deepest respect.

I think he has a difficult to control competitive streak that is his downfall-- but it is also his key to the success-- so not sure what to suggest. I have witnesed VN go at with out mutual friend psychologist Brett Steenbarg$r --- that was quite interesting!

Speaking of tennis, I have seen VN shut down player after player half his age in CT--- highly skilled on the courts

Makes me ill to see these strivers and strugglers rip on him when they really have no clue.

#74     Aug 17, 2015
    RabidTrader likes this.
  5. sprstpd

sprstpd

You have no clue who is profitable on these boards but you tell other people they suck and you constantly have a holier than thou attitude. You are delusional.

#75     Aug 17, 2015
    EPrado and samuel11 like this.
  6. I know for certain who is profitable and who is not-- among the posters I know personally.

Sure, I don't know everyone and certainly there are profitable traders on elite who I have no clue about--

HOWEVER, it is clear by some posters claims and posts that they ARE NOT profitable. They expose themselves quickly. surf

#76     Aug 17, 2015
    RabidTrader likes this.
  7. sprstpd

sprstpd

Ah, so you have a sixth sense in determining who is profitable and who isn't? Or maybe a better explanation is that someone is full of themselves?

#77     Aug 17, 2015
    EPrado, lawrence-lugar and samuel11 like this.

8. Not a sixth sense or anything like that. It's not only obvious to me but it is to anyone who has been in the game long enough. Their own words give them away... peace, surf

#78     Aug 17, 2015
    lawrence-lugar likes this.
  9. EPrado

EPrado

Surf you have completely left the reservation. Greatest living speculator? Wow.....

#79     Aug 17, 2015
  10. EPrado

EPrado

Yeah...I'm a big fan of their food. Eat lunch there at least once a week. The stock is a monster. Why anyone would short it is beyond me......

I agree with you on the draw down thing. They always come. If one doesn't know how to manage risk it can.....and will turn into a disaster. Been through em. Will go through more. Learned yrs ago that proper risk management keeps you alive and moving forwards even during draw downs.

I got to know a pretty big fund guy. Was in Market Wizards. He used to tell me clients would call him all the time being colossal pains in the ass. Questioning every tick down in performance. He basically told them to either stop with the everyday bs or take your money elsewhere. They all stayed. You kind of have to be tough with clients if you have a good track record. Personally I traded at a few hedge funds/CTA's and never dealt with that end of the business. Probably good because my patience would run thin real quick.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    #80     Aug 17, 2015