What is your single biggest fear in life?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Thunderdog, Feb 3, 2006.

1. what do you fear?....

#41     Feb 6, 2006
  2. My biggest fear is that this thread will never go away.

#42     Feb 6, 2006
  3. Dogfish

Dogfish

My biggest fear is paranoid gun toting americans. Reminds me of the southparkesque cartoon in Bowling for Columbine. "I lurrve maa guuun" How'd you get your gun, was it free when you opened trading account? :D

#43     Feb 6, 2006
  4. drasfs

drasfs

1 Having to work all life. I hate working, and I dont want to spend 50% of my single and only life doing something I dont like. You only have one life so you should try only do things you like and live life to the fullest

2Started trading forex, and so far, Im Very Very successful. My goal is to finally have so much money that I can live off the interest, and never work, and just do things I like.

Never again have to worry about things.Never again have to meed deadlines, but be free like a bird, and do anything I want,whenever I want.

#44     Feb 6, 2006
  5. zdreg

zdreg

and no religion.

#45     Feb 6, 2006
  6. Darn. I was hoping no one would notice that I didn't answer my own question. (Thanks, missy.)

Let me tell you first why I asked the question. I read in a number of books over the years that there is a tendency (but not necessarily a certainty) for people to bring about into there lives that which they fear. Apparently, they bring it about by dwelling on their fears and therefore living in that context. For example, Elvis Presley was afraid that he would die in his early 40s as his mother did. And despite his fear, or perhaps because of it, that is what happened. His addiction to pain medication certainly didn't help, but neither did his obesity. However, you would have thought that his morbid, haunting fear would have prevented him from abusing drugs and becoming obese rather than drawn him to it.

Examples such as these, especially less dramatic ones that tend to go more unnoticed, got me thinking. Fear, or a healthy respect for the unknown and the uncontrollable seems to be a good thing, in that it serves to act as a protective mechanism. At what point, however, does a fear become an obstacle? How best to determine that point of demarcation and possibly prevent it from spilling over onto the "dark" side? I suspect that there are no clear answers other than waiting until a fear negatively affects your life and then working to eradicate it -- a trial and error of sorts.

One of my favorite television shows in its day was Frasier. One particular episode slapped me in the face, but good. Frasier was having a difficult time in his relationships with women. He was afraid of rejection. As a result, he was afraid to commit to a relationship because of his fear of vulnerability and rejection. He then came to the startling revelation: "I'm alone because I'm afraid of being alone!" Talk about an epiphany.

It was in that context that I wondered if respondents to this thread might find any similar revelations about themselves.

As for me, DonnaV, I have two competing fears. One is similar to that of Frasier. Another is the fear that one day I may have to stop trading because my method will cease to be viable despite my efforts to modify or overhaul it. The classic fear of failure, I suppose. Thank you for asking.

Your turn, Donna. What do you fear?

#46     Feb 6, 2006
  7. In the context of my preceding post, can you see how your fear of this thread continuing is actually contributing to its growth?
    :)

#47     Feb 6, 2006
  8. mine would be to give up my dreams and starting to have a boring life : wake up , go to an annoying job ; go back to home ; see your wife you can't bear ; sleep.. i just need to dream and work for my dream to become true.

#48     Feb 6, 2006
  9. I fear that by reading this thread that I'll fear more fear.

#49     Feb 6, 2006
  10. And yet, here you are with your third post (thus far). Vexing.
    :D

#50     Feb 6, 2006