What is the most statistically predictable Option strategy?

Discussion in 'Options' started by xandman, Feb 21, 2015.

1. xandman ........ You are being bamboozled by AT99, he has you taking the hook, line and sinker. AT99 isn't new to ET and his posts are 100% BS.

:)

#61     Mar 12, 2015
  2. xandman

xandman

Thanks for expressing concern, OTM. I am not exactly a lost soul. Just lost in the sauce at times.

#62     Mar 12, 2015
  3. AT99

AT99

I guess this is the "witch hunt" you were referring to.

#63     Mar 12, 2015
  4. xandman

xandman

No, that's just calls of witchcraft. I am really more interested in the Inquisitor. You missed convexx, he would eat you alive.

#64     Mar 12, 2015
  5. DannyBoy

DannyBoy

Not jumping on any witchhunt bandwagons, but I will note that the screenshot of your spreadsheet where you show SPX 1% moves has a cell that contains the words "See forum for more info".

#65     Mar 13, 2015
  6. AT99

AT99

DannyBoy, I would like to be here to discuss strategies. Share what works for me and learn what works for others. Investing and trading is a continual learning process and I am a big believer in collaboration. I am trying to avoid discussing any other forum I may be a part of as that is not why I am here. I have a lot of spreadsheets I use for my trading and did not recall the one you mentioned had a note mentioning a forum. I apologize for that.

#66     Mar 13, 2015
  7. DannyBoy

DannyBoy

That's fine, like I said, I was just noting that, I'm not grabbing a pitchfork. Out of curiosity, given you have relevant data already prepared, I've always wondered what is the maximum absolute move the SPX has made in a 5 day period from close to close in your data? and how many times has it moved to that specific point and a point below? ie. if the max move is 10 points, how many times has it moved 10 and 9 times?

Personally if I was selling weekly index spreads, I would probably sell at/beyond the max absolute move over say a 10 yr period (even though the R/R and credit would be disgusting) given you would not have to touch it 99% of the time. For the 1% time you would, I would keep enough of a war chest to roll down around another 40-50 (ideally more) points. Getting filled would probably be a real issue though, might have to go SPY. Only way your going to loose is a good old black swan, could possibly use backspreads to avoid this though.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    #67     Mar 13, 2015
  8. AT99

AT99

Danny, not sure what time period you are looking at. Here are a couple of things that may help.

This has a lot of various time periods for SPX moves both in % moves and $ moves. This goes back to Jan 2012.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5p8xwnexe5zft8h/SPX Tables.pdf?dl=0

This will show you the 50 largest % and $ move for each move since Jan 2012 (I put VIX at 100 or less to pick up all periods). There were 701 5-day periods over this time frame.
    Look at the data in the columns under "Historical Raw Data" for the actual % and $ moves. You can see the date for each move at the far right.
    http://screencast.com/t/JCPXnjk6

#68     Mar 13, 2015
  9. MastMan

MastMan

So...I just ran into a relatively new brokerage that all they do is use a very wide Iron Condor on the S&P 500 and Adjust this position over time with the movement of the S&P, theory being, a lower percentage return, yet a more highly probable one. As seems to always be the case, high probability rides along with smaller returns.

#69     Dec 8, 2017
    cdcaveman and samuel11 like this.
  10. [​IMG]
    Talk about raising a thread from the dead - thats more than 2 years ago.

#70     Dec 8, 2017