What is the fastest time you attained your diploma?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Huskeez, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Ditch

Ditch

Sorry you feel offended by the quote "post-master executive program", but this is the wording of the institute that offers the program and after completion you're entitled to the EMFC/RC-degree. In my country it is the most advanced education in the field of Finance and Control, which is only accessible after completing a relevant masters-degree and is a prerequisite for a finance career within listed companies. My employer at the time paid for this education.

I agree on your assessment that it's a very unusual move after completing such a program. Hoewever, at the time I realized I wanted to be my own boss. Given my education and prior experience in the stock market I chose the path of a trading career. I contemplated studying law, but after an exhausting program decided to refrain from that.

But in your last sentence you're again making all kind of assumptions and drawing generalized conclusions although you know nothing about my background, my education, my professional career, my character and so on. You just can't engage in a discussion without throwing insults. Have a nice day.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    #11     Mar 28, 2015
  2. Ok, fair enough, I admit I have jumped to conclusions. I posted derogatory comments and I apologize to you for that.

I did not feel offended but I somewhat have a strong aversion to decorative terminology. Too many frauds peruse the technique to paint a pile of shit and call it a crystal ball. The usefulness and quality of conventional education is currently actually highly questioned by some of the smartest and wisest educators in the world yet universities and other "educational institutions" still go out and throw around with fancy terms like "Executive MBA", "Post Master bla", and what have you. Hardly any of such programs really provide the value they promise. I am not commenting on your specific degree or program but I have interviewed so many MBA graduates and hardly found a single individual that made the mark to work at a trading desk. Lots of show and very little fundamental knowledge and skills.

Back to your comments: Yes, it indeed is quite an unusual move; have you not come to the conclusion that you want to run your own business and be independent before you entered a 2.5 year long program? I would imagine it to be a total career killer should you ever want to interview for a high profile corporate position again...

And I do not follow why any degree in any country would be prerequisite for a finance career. Certainly you can join any market maker, investment bank, hedge fund even as high school dropout if you are smart enough and have a valid reason for your educational choices in your earlier life. I at least do not know of any company that makes a master degree, much less a post-master, a prerequisite to work for them. It helps but its not a mandatory item on any CV.

#12     Mar 28, 2015
  3. Ditch

Ditch

Maybe I should have said Finance & Control career. Every listed company I know of demands a masters degree to enter their senior management training programs. While on the job they expect you to complete the post-master I talked about. Nowadays with increasing competition on the labour market there's even a tendency to complete two post-masters: RC and RA (CPA and CMA). Anyway, that's the way it is over here, in the Netherlands.

#13     Mar 28, 2015
  4. now I am very curious which country you are talking about, I have never heard of such ever before. Holland?

#14     Mar 28, 2015
  5. Ditch

Ditch

The Netherlands aka Holland.

#15     Mar 28, 2015
  6. Ditch

Ditch

I second you remark on decorative terminology. It's actually funny that when i did this program it wasn't labeled this way. The executive label was attached later on.

On the career killer remark, my choices at the time were influenced by a very risk-averse wife that held me back. Once she was gone I changed direction in life.

#16     Mar 28, 2015
  7. Sorry to hear that and that can be a valid reason. Thanks for sharing and apologies again for having been a bit of an ass

#17     Mar 28, 2015
    lucysparabola likes this.
  8. Ditch

Ditch

Apologies accepted and no hard feelings.

#18     Mar 28, 2015
    Occam likes this.
  9. Visaria

Visaria

how's the trading going, ditch? are u pleased with the career choice you made or do you regret it?

#19     Mar 29, 2015
  10. Ditch

Ditch

Difficult question for me, as I'm very happy with my trading at present, though i've had my share of rough patches along the way. When I gave up my financial career I contemplated studying law, but after completing an exhaustin study just a year earlier I refrained from it. A few years later I found out that I really have a talent for the lawyer profession, so there's some regret I didn't choose that route. My financial education combined with a law study would have been an excellent background for a career as an executor ( with respect to bankruptcies), which I think is an interesting field. One of the benefits of this choice would have been the prestige you have in society, traders are often looked upon as gamblers, in my experience. The other side is that trading provided me with a great deal of freedom, I've travelled a large part of the world and gained many interesting experiences along with it. Something I could never have done in a more traditional career. Right now my present girlfriend and I are planning to travel to China per the Trans-Siberian Express this summer. Really looking forward to that one. All in all I think I made the right choice.

How are you doing?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    #20     Mar 29, 2015
    Visaria likes this.