What does everyone do for streaming news?

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by Surreal, Aug 25, 2004.

1. The brings up a good point becuase i recently thought about trying to save some money but did not for several reasons this reason being the most critical. Needtoknownews is a new low cost provider attempting to ride upon Trade The News six year track record by competing on price. I listened to both for a while and there is a huge difference.

TTN to me has been a superior news analysis company that has its own reporters and CFA's in 3 cities they say. They have a depth and understanding that is very clear n2n is not experienced upon. N2n seems to only be staffed by one guy and what sounds like a young kid as the co-headline reader.

N2n READS DIRECTLY OFF EVERY NEWS FEED INCLUDING BLOOMBERG. They are ripping off Bloomberg.....In case you guys are wondering why they won't be around for long is that is outright copyright infringement. So don't get rid of your Bloombergs or your Reuters cause if you guys recall there where 2 other start-ups a few years ago doing the same thing and they got themselves into serious legal issues.

My two cents is if these services could be staffed by one guy and a bloomberg/Reuters station don't you think every day trader that could not make oney would try it? This is exactly what N2news is doing...

Just my 2 cents.
    -T

#61     Oct 31, 2004
  2. Interesting thoughts.

How do you know what NTKN is using or is doing to obtain their news? Also, what tells you that they are staffed by one person? It would be great if someone else could verify this.

On breaking news and geopolitical headlines, NTKN has been consistently ahead of TTN. I find that for scalping, NTKN provides a broader range of coverage for futures (I don't listen to the equities channel) including market updates including currencies, interest rate, fixed income and others throughout the day. They are more consistent in announcing highs/lows in crude or other key commodities. I had to write a letter complaining that TTN is more interested in announcing IPO's and tracking penny stocks than the broader market.

As far as announcers, anyone who has heard TTN knows that you almost have to beat the words out of the female announcer to finish a sentence. :D She would come on and say, "A bomb blast has been...[2 sec pause].... reported..[2 sec pause]..... in ..... Baghdad." In the meantime, I'm thinking, "A bomb in Atlanta??? New York??? Madrid??? London??? What?? Get it out??" We all joke about it sometimes.

For $400 per subscriber per month, TTN is way overpriced. I'm just glad there is someone else I can go to who also caters to futures traders.

NTKN is less than a 1/4 of the cost but gives more bang for the buck. I can't speak for their equities coverage because I don't use it. I look forward to the debut of their European coverage.

#62     Oct 31, 2004
  3. Interesting, here I am posting a few very reasonable questions to NTKN, less accusational even than many others, but my post gets deleted nonetheless. That's really corrupt I must say. Wonder whether the moderators are behind that (being paid to do that), or if it's NTKN themselves not wanting open questions exposed. So I'll post and ask again, just as friendly and diligently, these questions, which I think people deserve to know:

1) If you say it's quoted "the second they can be released..." Is this service direct news, in that you are quoting news from your own news source? Or is it second-hand, such as reading off a Bloomberg terminal or Reuters?

2) If it is second-hand, I.e. read off a terminal - Is it legal? Are you guys paying licence to those providing the news, or are you essentially pirating someone else's information?

There are only 2 answers, and not asked too much. If you aren't willing to answer these questions - that's a clear answer, too. People deserve to know this, because no one wants the risk or trouble associated with listening to pirated or false-claim (delayed) broadcast. It's only fair. Cheers!

#63     Oct 31, 2004
  4. funnyman

funnyman

#2 is a very good question. bloomberg won't even allow a second person to use a terminal assigned to ONE subscriber. how does NTKN be allowed to disseminate it across the internet and get paid for it??

#64     Oct 31, 2004
  5. I probably spoke out of turn here. I will have to get in touch with the pres of NTKN to find out what they use. I didn't mean for the discussion to be on whether or not Bloomberg allows subscriber dissemination under license or not. I stand corrected by anyone who knows more.

I was told that they have all the news feeds that are available to TTN, so I made an undue assumption that Bloomberg would be a part of that.

Take care.

PS: I don't work for or represent NTKN. I am a long time user of TTN and have found NTKN a better source for what I do. This is why I participate here.

#65     Oct 31, 2004
  6. KennyB

KennyB

Another service to check out is www.triggernews.com

By using keyword filters to narrow down what sort of news you're looking for, it pops up only the press releases and news that contains those items. Might be helpful for those who like to trade split announcements, earnings guidance, FDA decisions, and the like.

#66     Oct 31, 2004
  7. Thanks for clarifying, FuturesTrader - I have no doubt you are no shill for these people - In fact you were one of the only reasons why I even participated in this discussion. If you find something good about them, there probably is something behind it. I hope NTKN answers these questions, so we are all in the clear about the legality and true speed of this service.

I have always greatly enjoyed your contributions, and hope you will continue to participate here. Peace!

- S

It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be.
    ~ Virgil, Aeneid

#67     Oct 31, 2004

8. I'm obviously not aware of the technical aspects of the services they use. Their office is just a block away, but I haven't visited.

I can only compare them with TTN to see which service is worth keeping. I also speak directly with Andy, the pres of NTKN, much the same as I did with Joe at TTN via IM. My review and comments on the service is based on head to head comparison of the two. Unfortunately, TTN only has equities coverage and no futures. A true comparison would be TTN vs. NTKN's equities channel. I'm not interested in that.

As far as putting out geopolitical and other news headlines, NTKN is the hands down winner. However, NTKN needs to work on the way the numbers are announced. I believe this is just growing pains. They often announce the less important number first or they are behind by a second or two. Lately, they have gotten much better at this. In fact, the NTKN announcer said that there was a rumor about the PMI number on Friday. It turns out that the rumor was absolutely correct. That rumor announcement came out at least 5 minutes early. I couldn't believe that somebody had the number out and NTKN somehow heard the whispers.

I found TTN is not very receptive to suggestions and, especially not, critique. NTKN is more proactive because they are the lessor known and the newer boys on the block. TTN could spend 5 straight minutes talking about some IPO or penny stalk while a plane crashes in Atlanta.

NTKN needs to provide a better interface application to deliver the news. I understand that they have hired someone to come up with a proprietary applet.

Anyway, everyone looks for different angles from the news. For me, NTKN does a better job for a much lower price. Maybe I just feel like I wasted too much money on TTN for what they offer me as a futures scalper.

Both services offer a trial. I recommend that those considering the services run them both at the same time and come up with their own opinion.

Good luck this week and happy trading.

#68     Oct 31, 2004
  9. andy@ntkn

andy@ntkn NeedToKnowNews.com

A couple of questions were posed:

1) If you say it's quoted "the second they can be released..." Is this service direct news, in that you are quoting news from your own news source? Or is it second-hand, such as reading off a Bloomberg terminal or Reuters?

2) If it is second-hand, I.e. read off a terminal - Is it legal? Are you guys paying licence to those providing the news, or are you essentially pirating someone else's information?

I'd like to say first, thanks for the interest and that these are very good questions. I would also like to clarify some previous posts that incorrectly referred to me as the president/CEO; I am one of the co-founders and now head up sales and marketing.

Question 1: We do in fact have our own direct sources for news including a staff reporter in Washington D.C. that is in press embargo rooms for economic reports. We also have numerous trading desk and exchange contacts around the world.

Question 2: All information that we pass on is legally obtained through our own proprietary sources or properly licesned distribtion channels. Rest assured that anything you hear on NTKN is legally obtained and not pirated. One of the first steps in the founding of our service was extensive legal consultation to assure the validity of our reporting methods.

Thanks again for the interest. Feel free to contact me directly with any further inquiries.

Regards

#69     Nov 2, 2004
  10. Toonces

Toonces

Hi Andy,

I've been using your service for a couple of weeks now. Kudos.

In light of timeliness of stories, I have another question. I'll be watching my news program and listening to you guys at the same time. They'll read off a story, and then 15 seconds later it will show up on my news program. And this is PRNewswire and Businesswire stories. I've tried other news services, and my news service can be up to a half minute faster than others.

Aren't we all supposed to be getting the news at the same time? I know Bloomberg is often first, but how can PR and BW have that much of a discrepancy?

#70     Nov 2, 2004