US National Debt frozen since March.....Whats going on?????

Discussion in 'Economics' started by achilles28, Jul 19, 2015.

1. achilles28

achilles28

Reported US debt on Treasurydirect.gov has remained locked at ~18.152 Trillion for nearly 5 months. Hasn't budged. Somethings up. What's going on?

xandman likes this.
  2. redbox

redbox

Does it even matter anymore, how many debt ceilings have been smashed through?

3. loyek590

loyek590

the debt ceilings are smashed when congress approves the spending

first they vote to spend so much we will need to borrow more

then they vote to raise the debt ceiling to pay for what they already voted for on spending

I suppose they could vote to spend more and then not raise the ceiling, but that would involve cutting spending somewhere else

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  4. loyek590

loyek590

so they vote for something that costs money, and when asked how to pay for it they say they will make the tough choices and eliminate inefficiency and fraud, and when it comes time to pay, since they haven't got around to cutting anything, they just raise the debt ceiling. Thank g-d Visa never let me do that when I was a young man.

i960 likes this.
  5. NoBias

NoBias

6. Sotnis

Sotnis

A debt issuance suspension period was necessary because in 2014 Congress enacted legislation that “suspended” the debt limit until March 15 and then reinstated it on that date at whatever level the debt had reached by then.

Zestilio likes this.
  7. achilles28

achilles28

Right. Googled it and yes, they hit some kind of limit back in early March. So we can presume the Treasury is 'borrowing' from the Social Security Fund and Government accounts to make up the shortfall?

8. S2007S

S2007S

Debt ceiling hahaha hahaha, there are no such thing as debt ceilings, hahahahah....they just raise them and print more money....debt ceilings ....

9. SunTrader

SunTrader

It's a seasonal budgetary year thing. Some years it's not as noticeable - or not even there. Won't be long again when it will rise higher and higher ND.png

10. i960

i960

What could possibly go wrong?!

#10     Jul 25, 2015