Upgrade path from NVIDIA NVS 810 to drive 8 monitors?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by goslow, Apr 17, 2024.

1. goslow

goslow

Friends,

I have 8 1280x1250 monitors driven by one NVS 810 adapter on Windows 11.

The motive for upgrading is that task-view (virtual desktop) switching is slow. MultiCharts is the main app software.

What video adapter(s) would be a good replacement for the NVS 810, with an eye eventually to upgrade the monitors also?

Thanks in advance.

2. 2rosy

2rosy

how big is a 1280x1250 monitor? I would just buy 2 or 3 curved wide monitors

orbit23 and goslow like this.
  3. goslow

goslow

Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
  4. I've not heard of "1280x1250" resolution ?? If that's what you have, likely Windows/video having to work extra to produce that res. That could be your slowness all by itself.

Presuming you've got at least 2x, PCIE16 slots on your mobo...
    I'd suggest you get 2x quad port cards... Nvidia Quadro P620, P1000 or T600, T1000. The P620/1000 cards are plenty to drive 4x, 4k monitors for trading.

Of course you'll want to have monitors with Display Port video. And if you're running 4k monitors, you should have DP v1.4 cables.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
    PennySnatch, goslow and rb7 like this.
  5. goslow

goslow

Scataphagos,

Thank you for the reply, and for suggesting an upgrade path. There are 2+ free PCIE16 slots. I'll start shopping for cards and mons.

Correction: The current monitors are 1920x1200, 24-inch Samsung 245BW and 450BWT, manufactured somewhere in 2008-2015 (guess).

Different subject. I have swr here that moves app windows (and MultiCharts charts and desktops) to multiples of the monitor size, to avoid having charts span monitor edges. That will need to change if I move to different monitor sizes. If anyone here is interested in hearing more about that and maybe leverage it, msg me.

6. mervyn

mervyn

a2000 these days minimum, you need 2.

goslow likes this.
  7. Nvidia control panel software should let you size and position windows however you like. Suggest you uninstall any other multi-monitor software.

goslow likes this.
  8. goslow

goslow

This concerns moving child panes within an app frame, and app frames themselves. I will post an image later.

9. Nvidia software does that just fine

10. Was thinking about your situation.
    1. With the 810 card, you should be able to run 8 monitors just fine... perhaps no need to replace it with 2x quad-ports. Specs say, "8x, 4k monitors @ 30Hz", however.
    2. Looks like you've got some other 3rd-party "display management" software running? Suggest you uninstall all such software and let either Windows or the Nvidia software run your display. Having more than one software "trying" to manage the display could lead to conflict/slowing. If I were you, I'd try this first.

Also... do you have any older monitors running on DVI such that you use a DP-DVI adapter? If so, suggest you try eliminating DVI altogether and just use DP and with DP v1.4 cables.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    #10     Apr 18, 2024