Unacceptable Limit Stock Order Handling by IB

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by NoVoodooHere, May 18, 2015.

1. Lol you gotta calm down first. IB is not breaking the law with this. Depending on your trigger methodology set it is entirely conceivable to not have a stop order trigger even if you set the stop price within the spread. There is nothing illegal about this whatsoever.

#31     May 19, 2015
  2. Exactly

#32     May 19, 2015
  3. Exactly. Thank you. After several pages of posts, OP hasn't offered a single example of an actual order he placed that could be analyzed against Level2 data. His posts are all content-free generalities without any specific datapoints.

#33     May 20, 2015
  4. Behavior described in detail. All stock limit orders on an OCA group. You have a problem with the fact that I cannot supply an example? I can, pick a ticker, any ticker.

Why are you even here posting your non-sense? TROLL

#34     May 20, 2015
  5. meaning

meaning

volpunter and debitspread have contributed nearly 50% of the content of this thread in an attempt to discredit the OP for suggesting that there may be a problem with IB's automated order handling system.

This matter could be put to rest if IB would simply post an answer here as to whether or not the "glitch" that the OP has identified is or is not the standard way these orders are handled by IB's system.

#35     May 20, 2015
    NoVoodooHere and debitspread like this.
  6. I tried this with SPY and entered a way OOTM buy and sell for the same OCA group with no parent order and SMART routing. As you described, both were listed as "held" / blue status.

I tried this with another stock I am actively trading, entering an at-the-bid buy (bullish) and an OOTM sell in the same OCA group and routed to NYSE. Both the orders were live / green. I don't know what the difference was, since this stock also worked fine with SMART routing.

I had an unexpected outcome since I had the orders set to "reduce" in the case of partial fills. The buy got a partial fill, reducing the sell as expected. Then the sell was fully filled, and the buy canceled, leaving me with a net partial short position and a partial realized profit. Arguably for my view, I should have just entered both limit orders, but that's my fault not the order type's.

So it seems it does work the way one wants for some stocks, but not for others. I hope this helps and thank you for introducing me to using OCA groups in this way.

#36     May 20, 2015
  7. You'r welcome & BTW you can have as many orders as you want in same OCA group. What was the other stock/routing that went green on order placement, so that I may attempt to reproduce?

#37     May 20, 2015
  8. I got it to work on EEM and also FSIC, among others. SPY did not work the first time (SMART) but did work the second time I tried. No obvious difference, so I don't know what is going on. I am not running a recent TWS build.

#38     May 20, 2015
  9. No...this matter could be put to rest if OP would put up a fucking detailed scenario. Ticker and order types and exchange targeted. Is he retarded or working for the competition or why he cannot post a simple ticker symbol?!?

And that's exactly what IB would ask him , what did you exactly do...

#39     May 20, 2015
  10. So then it is either attributed to the way I am configured OR it is a problem specific to my installation. I have the very latest (stand alone not server based) build
    blue orders.jpg

#40     May 20, 2015