UK trader arrested for May 2010 U.S. Stock market flash crash

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by just21, Apr 21, 2015.

1. just21

just21

The British financial trader accused of contributing to a multibillion-dollar stock market crash from his parents’ home, will remain in custody after his appeal to vary his bail conditions was refused.

Navinder Singh Sarao, 36, who is fighting extradition to the US on 22 counts of fraud and commodity manipulation, has been prevented from paying his £5m bail by a worldwide freezing order. He has requested he be freed from Wandsworth prison after his parents provided £50,000 in surety.

However, in the high court in London on Wednesday, Mr Justice Cranston ruled: “I accept Mr Summers’ submission [for the US government] that until the applicant demonstrates that he has no access to any funds anywhere, so as to provide reassurance that any court in the world would want, the application is premature.”

Sarao was arrested last month after the US Department of Justice claimed he had made £27m by “spoofing” financial markets using commercially available trading software to place $200m of false trades from his home in Hounslow.

The Americans said Sarao’s supposed manipulation contributed to the so-called flash crash on 6 May 2010, when the Dow Jones industrial average plunged 600 points in five minutes, creating havoc on Wall Street.

The trader has been remanded in custody for four weeks after his arrest last month, when his bail was set at just over £5m. His lawyers had said Sarao’s trading account contained the funds, but they have since learned that his assets were subject to a freezing order which made it impossible to produce the monies.

His lawyers have asked that Sarao be freed to await a full hearing on his extradition in September, with only £50,000 provided as security by his parents. On Wednesday, Sarao’s parents also offered to provide their home in Hounslow, west London, on which they have paid the mortgage, as further security.

Sarao’s lawyers said the judge had “left the door open” for them to return to court after providing further information on Sarao’s assets.

#401     May 20, 2015
  2. i960

i960

Just completely railroading this guy. Meanwhile big money gets away with the same horseshit day in and day out. Had Sarao stashed 100$ bills with each of those CME complaints he'd probably still be spoofing right now.

#402     May 20, 2015
    lucysparabola likes this.
  3. The nutjobs will pursue this case to the bitter end and once theyre proven wrong, they'll start making outrageous claims against the defendant in order to smear him. The DOJ consists of some of the most fucked up people you could imagine. Sad.

#403     May 21, 2015
  4. londonkid

londonkid

I have a lot of sympathy for Nav. The guy is locked up in Wandsworth prison with murderers and rapists, all without trial. He must be thinking how the hell did it come to this? I cannot believe he has not been bailed. They could just ask him to surrender his passport and visit the local police station every day.

#404     May 21, 2015
    lucysparabola and i960 like this.
  5. Pekelo

Pekelo

Making 5 million per year, and complaining 100 times? Guy should be locked up...

#405     May 21, 2015
  6. i960

i960

That's funny, I don't see anyone locked up from the multiple banks accused of foreign exchange rigging.

#406     May 21, 2015
    Visaria and lucysparabola like this.
  7. Banksters payoff the politicos, so what do you expect?

#407     May 21, 2015
  8. Exactly.

#408     May 22, 2015
  9. Theres some great points made. Why is he locked up like he'd a career criminal. The DOJ barely has a case

#409     May 23, 2015
  10. southall

southall

He didnt like paying his taxes but now claiming legal aid funded by other tax payers.
    Should be put on the first plane out to the US.

#410     May 23, 2015
    dealmaker likes this.